Transferring files from 3.1 to xp.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zoey, Jun 6, 2003.

1. zoey

zoey Guest

I heard the easist was is put the hdd in the xp machine as slave.
    the old computer is a 386, are the hdd compatible? Can't I just put the word docs on the floppys? The only stuff to be saved on there are Word docs. I have never used 3.1 before so bear with me. There are about 200 docs on the 386.:eek:

2. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

The HDD should be compatible as long as it is an IDE drive, I'd give it a shot if I were you.
    Used to use 3.11 many moons ago (and windows 3.0!!) at school. OMG I can't believe how basic they were. I think windows 3.1 was the first windows operating system where you could have startup and shutdown sounds!!:D

3. zoey

zoey Guest

So what you're saying after I change drives, will 3.1 boot up? or will I just navigate to the files. will the power cable be the same?
    I hate to be a pain in the a$$. thx

4. rushm001

No, shouldn't do as long as your normal drive is set as master, and the old drive set as slave it should find your normal operating system first.
    No worries:p

5. rushm001

Yes, should be. Those babies haven't changed for years.:p

6. zoey

zoey Guest

ok, i'll have to run to his houes later and screw around with it.

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Uhm, easiest: Put it in the old 386 if it still exists, then just copy the files to floppy, and then open em. I dont suggest trying to run Windows 3.1 on any other hardware, i tried it and it majorly screwed up.

8. zoey

zoey Guest

the hdd is still in the 386, I tried to copy to the floppy, when i click on the down arrow, to save, the floppy clicks a few times, stops and it reverts back to "c"

9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Check if the floppy drive works, if it does try formatting the floppy, if the floppy drive is shot, stick a new one in.

10. zoey

zoey Guest

thanks, like i said, i'll have to get the comp tomorrow, and post back.

11. Comptech

Comptech Guest

X-Intnse, why would you put a new ten dollar drive in a twenty dollar machine? The other reply's were right, just slave that drive and copy to the main harddrive.If they are word docs, i have found that word XP will go back as far word for windows 2.0 and open them just fine.