Transfer data from one computer to another.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Don_Choa, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Don_Choa

Don_Choa OSNN Junior Addict

Newbie help read

I like to know how I can transfer huge amount of data from a computer to another. Basically the file is bigger than 1 cd can handle it.
    I'll like to know how I can link my two pc togheter and transfer the date.
    All help will be appreciatted.
    thanks you in advance.

choa

2. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

if they both have a networking card, you can buy a crossover cable and set up a little network, i can't really explain how to do it over the internet though ;p maybe someone else can

3. gladner

gladner Guest

nero burning rom has a backup feature which can put one (or many) file onto many cds. (this is the easiest way, though long)

To connect two pcs directly you need a special network cable (a crossover cable) and you need to make a small network with just the two computers and then transferring the files is easy. (this can also be done with special usb cables: might be easier but i've never actually done it)

4. Don_Choa

Don_Choa OSNN Junior Addict

usb cable sounds good. I m looking for a easy way (im lazy). Im wondering if PcAnywhere could also do the job?
    Im looking foward more info with the usb cable.

5. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

PcAnywhere can do it with the file transfer method. Might take you some time though. As it can be slow.

6. bush dogg

bush dogg Guest

What are the OS you are using windows has a files and settings transfer wizard that works nice and fast (did for me three times)
    will work with serial cable, USB or network interface card (or network interface maybe on motherboard built in?) The info below came from microsoft help the links don't work I pulled it from my file.

from microsoft help

Connecting Your Computers
    For the best experience using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, you will want to connect your two computers together. You can connect your computers either by using a null modem serial cable or by using Home networking.

Connecting With A Serial Cable
    The easiest way to connect your computers is to use the null modem serial cable. To use the null modem serial cable:

Both computers must have an available serial port (also called a COM port).
    You must have a null modem serial cable (also called a LapLink serial cable or a serial file transfer cable).
    The serial cable must be long enough to connect the computers together.

Click here for additional information about connecting your computers using a null modem serial cable.

Connecting With Home Networking
    The best way to connect your computers together is to use Home networking. Although the setup is more complex, your files and settings will transfer faster. If you are planning to keep both your old computer and your new computer, you might want to consider creating a Home network.

To use Home networking:

Both computers must have a network interface card or a USB network interface installed. The jack looks like a slightly larger telephone jack.
    You must have network cable, and in most cases a hub.
    The network cable must be long enough to connect the computers together.
    Note: A wireless network will not need network cable or a hub.

Run the Network Setup Wizard to set up your Home network.