Tranfer Data From Old Hd To New Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dadecamp, Jul 21, 2002.

1. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

I just bought a new 80gb hard drive and want to copy everything fromthe old c:\ to the new. Is this posible?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

With the right software it is. Someone should be along to point you in the right direction.

3. phil7

phil7 Guest

with ghost take about 20 minute perfect copy

4. dadecamp

files and seettings?

My computer is shared with 4 users. Therefore I want to save all their personal settings and email accounts, files etc.
    I can do a clean install of XP on the new drive. Would I have to install it on a different computer to use the files and setting wizard? Or can the files and settings wizard be fooled to move these from one drive to another?:confused:

5. allan

allan Guest

Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image will do what you want. Both products create an image (snapshot) of your drive(s) and reproduce that image exactly on the new drive.

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

1. Plug in the new disk as master, without the old disk.
    2. Install Windows XP.
    3. Plug in the old disk as master (C: ) , move the new disk to slave (not C: ).
    4. Make a folder on the new disk, say "D:\Transfer" (if D: is the new disk). Make folders for each user under that ("D:\Transfer\User1").
    5. Run the Move files and settings wizard and select your users transfer directory as the destination for the data.
    6. Repeat 5 for all users.
    7. Unplug the old disk and move the new disk to master.
    8. Create new users with the same name as the ones on the old disk.
    9. Restore all users using the wizard in the respective accounts.

That ought to do it. If you feel that any files are missing just copy them afterwards. All mail, favourites, documents and such should be transfered by the wizard.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

zedric's way would be best... that way you get a clean install of xp (which is always good) and all your old settings and such.

8. dadecamp

I will try it

Thanks Zedric. I will try that and let you know how it turns out.:)