Too many processes... machine too slow!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mubbers, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

I've got a P4 1.8GHz machine with 512Mb of ram and a Nvidia TNT2 64 video card.

Since I've had the machine (several months) I've noticed a definite decline in performance (notably in games such as RTCW and MOHAA).

Looking at task manager there is a whole load more processes running than when I first had it but when I reviewed the info on these processes to see which I could cut I was none the wiser.

Can anyone help me create a 'clean' boot profile for gaming etc...

Bring back DOS!!!

2. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

3. dustyputer

dustyputer Guest

Have you tried Start - Run - msconfig and Start Up, you can unchecked a lot of programs loading on bootup and it will give you more resources....

4. dustyputer

dustyputer Guest

Oups sorry, didn't realize that the link above from twoziqzaq was exactly about msconfig :)....

5. rettahc

rettahc Guest

6. Polaris

Polaris Guest

Go into the windows task mangager ctrl-alt-del
    and you can most of the programs that under your user name
    except Eplorxer

leave the System ones alone though
    but the last post has a good idea, use a game shell os
    thanks for the link

7. Stircrazy

Stircrazy Guest

8. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Another program to try is End It All. Easy to use. Before playing games & such run it. Closes all unnecessary programs.

10. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

Thank's for the info y'all.

I'm now marooned on my North Sea desert island so I'll try it all when I get back!!

11. visuelz

visuelz Guest

u should also try increasing ur page file. It should be 1.5 times the amount of rams u have.

12. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Some people here mentioned msconfig.
    If you use that, then you will probably want to know what all those programs are listed in there.
    Here's a site that lists many of them:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm
    Also, check your startup folder for anything.

Note: this is something different than the services Stircrazy mentioned. So, you can look at both msconfig as well as the services link Stircrazy mentioned.

As Polaris mentioned, the task manager can also be useful. However, I would like to suggset something a little different. Open up the task manager like he described and click on the [Processes] tab. In there, click on the heading labled "CPU" to sort all the processes by how much of the CPU they are using. (You may have to hit it twice to get the numbers to appear like you want.) Then take a look at what processes are using up your CPU. Maybe from this you can get an idea of what apps might be using up your system. Note: svchost.exe is something that comes with XP (although it's theoretically possible other stuff may be able to access it).

Another suggestion I might offer is to try this:
    I will say that I'm not fully sure how much this affects games, but you could try.
    Go to your display settings and click on the [Appearance] tab.
    Change your style to Windows Classic Style.
    Also, click on the "Effects..." button and uncheck "show shadows under menus". See if this has any affect on your performance while in games. The show shadows under menus can slow down opening menus if you have an older video card.

13. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Some people here mentioned msconfig.
    If you use that, then you will probably want to know what all those programs are listed in there.
    Here's a site that lists many of them:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm
    Also, check your startup folder for anything.

Note: this is something different than the services Stircrazy mentioned. So, you can look at both msconfig as well as the services link Stircrazy mentioned.

As Polaris mentioned, the task manager can also be useful. However, I would like to suggset something a little different. Open up the task manager like he described and click on the [Processes] tab. In there, click on the heading labled "CPU" to sort all the processes by how much of the CPU they are using. (You may have to hit it twice to get the numbers to appear like you want.) Then take a look at what processes are using up your CPU. Maybe from this you can get an idea of what apps might be using up your system. Note: svchost.exe is something that comes with XP (although it's theoretically possible other stuff may be able to access it).

Another suggestion I might offer is to try this:
    I will say that I'm not fully sure how much this affects games, but you could try.
    Go to your display settings and click on the [Appearance] tab.
    Change your style to Windows Classic Style.
    Also, click on the "Effects..." button and uncheck "show shadows under menus". See if this has any affect on your performance while in games. The show shadows under menus can slow down opening menus if you have an older video card.

BTW, did you know XP doesn't use the optimal refresh rate that your monitor supports? This can cause uneeded eyestrain in games. Check out this link so you can fix it yourself:
    http://www.xp-refresh.net/