Tivo or Digital box from Cable Co. (Moxi Box)

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Bucky Badger, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

If you had the choice which would you use. Buy a 40hr Tivo for $99.00 and a life time Tivo membership for $300.00. Or pay $5.00 rental for box and $10.00 a month for service from the cable co. (Charter). 27 Months times $15.00=$405.00. A no brainer? Tivo?

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Wish mine was that cheap, cost me around £60 a month with bskyb, (£41 by DD+ some pay per view). Thats $115 in your currency I think.

Go for one that is per month as a 1 time fee could mean the company go down the pan and you're having to find another company.

3. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

This is for the DVR and DVR service only, not the regular cable. That runs about $100.00 month.

Tivo is very popular and is almost a monopoly, Don't think they will go out of business. Besides after 27 months it pays for it self.

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Ohh I.C. never had cable use a satellite dish, so not sure, I will give you a link maybe there is more info on opinions from others at a geek site I use.

www.satelliteguys.us

5. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Bucky, I have the cable box, now I can't imagine life without it.
    I too have charter, and every three months you can call them and ask if they are having any specials, should take the cost of your service down 30-49 bucks. My wife does it all the time.

Very happ with the Charter service as a whole.

6. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Friend of mine swears by the Tivo option - so I would say that one (didn't know it was still available in the US - we cannot get it in the UK anymore, the hradware that is - not because they went out of business though - because Mr Murdock (Sky) bought up all the rights to take out the competition!)... For what it is worth Tivo listings etc are all fully operational despite this - there is a thriving market in second hand TIVOs with their life-time licenses! So I would go for that one - it even has a resale value!

However have to say that I am not a user myself - Lord is and he might just post here - I believe his opinion may be different.

7. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

I will be waiting for My Lord...LOL

8. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

What DVR is your service going to give you if you sign up?
    I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000.

9. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

You pay that to watch repeats?? Are you mad?? :speechless: :eek: :laugh: