those pen memory sticks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CHiLLaXen, Jan 14, 2004.

1. CHiLLaXen

CHiLLaXen hypnotika

you know, the ones you stick in the USB port? are they compatible with MACs and windows? I need one for my art class, they have MACs and I have Windows. Will there be any conflicts transfering files?

what file format do they use?

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

99.99% of those devices are universal, meaning that they are compatible on anything that has a USB port and an operating system.

Now, the general file format for use with them is the FAT32. FAT32 is readable by Mac, Windows, Linux, BeOS, etc. If you format it into NTFS (which a lot of people do), you will not be able to transfer files on them from the Macs.

3. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Ditto.

As long as the file format is valid for both OS's you should be ok. Although I think mine is "formatted" as FAT (not FAT32), but I left it at work so I can't be 100% sure. WinXP doesn't need any drivers (for the non-USB2.0 versions anyway), not sure about the MAC...

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Mac OSX 10.3 will natively read NTFS (No writing yet though.) but for the utmost compatibility you should stay away from NTFS (For USB keys anyway :))

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

In any case, NTFS isn't really recommended for drives the size of a small thumb drive.