"There won't be a google phone" !!

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by ray_gillespie, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Oh what a let down!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7078921.stm

I was quite looking forward to seeing what Google had up their sleaves, they might even have been able to tempt me away from my Nokia N95...

Nevermind, hopefully some cool stuff will come out of this anyway. :)

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

They're trying to create one single operating system across mobile devices. They want to be the new Microsoft :eek:

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Homogeny amongst technology devices makes things easier for malicious persons to take advantage. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. I hope, especially with it being based on a linux kernel, it will be closely monitored so it doesn't fall into the same pit as linux with sixteen million individuals with conflicting agendas having commit access to the project.

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

isn't the iphone a slim downed version of the apple operating system?

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Shhh! You're not allowed to bad mouth Apple.

As for a Google phone, why would anyone want ONE. There will be dozens of Google phones from a wide variety of manufacturers, costing a fraction of what a proprietary, use on ATT only, Iphone costs.

Those google phones will lower internet usage costs and promote open source add ins.

How is that a bad thing?