The Village

Well, I loved it. Then again, I also loved "Unbreakable," while many hated it. Perhaps it's M. Night's filmmaking that makes his films so enjoyable to me... going beyond the plot or the "surprise endings" that so many claim are no surprise. His films, this one included, do so much right. It's a shame how something like "I didn't like the ending" can make the great things be forgotten (or overlooked) to the point where all you can say is that it's garbage (not specifically directed at you, SmoothImmigrant).

For anyone curious enough to know what M. Night does so well, specifically in "The Village"...
  • He is patient with his shots. There is little or no jerking and jumping from camera to camera... and no camera tricks.
  • He "shows instead of tells." This means that instead of spoon-feeding every bit of information, he presents the information with images.
    Examples:
    The woman picking the red flower, the yellow paint and yellow coats, the watchmen, the black boxes.
  • Similarly, he foreshadows without giving too much away.
  • He creates suspense with silence, with the soundtrack, and with the pacing of his shots. His patience with holding certain shots increases the tenseness of a scene.
  • He commands great performances from his actors. i.e. Adrien Brody, William Hurt, Joaquin Phoenix, etc.
  • He creates ironies in his story.
    Keeping the village innocent by having a governing body that is guilty of lies and manipulation, etc.
  • He doesn't wrap everything up with a nice little bow and warm fuzzy feelings. :p

All that to say, "The Village" was everything I expected of M. Night and I was very pleased with it. I will see it again, I'll buy it, and I'll recommend it to everyone I know. Say what you want, but it's my opinion, and my opinion can't be wrong if it's mine. ;)

4.5/5 OSNN Stars

muzikool, I agree with all your points to a large extent. I was also one of those people who enjoyed Unbreakable.
I don't really know how to explain it...but this movie just didn't make me go "whoa" like his last 3 movies did. It just didn't feel captivating enough overall (except for certain parts). I don't know...maybe I was expecting something different, maybe expecting something too much. Ah, I'm just confused.
I wouldn't go so far as to discourage people from watching it. But I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone either, like I did for the others. I'd just have to tell people to go watch it and judge for themselves. Mixed feelings, really...

It was OK, though perhaps not as good as Sixth Sense. All this said though, I really didn't pay all that much attention to the hype that surrounded it (might have seen a brief trailer on Sci-Fi channel once or twice).

All in all though, I would not classify it as a horror film, and when it ended it's clear that something else was going on. This said however, many things that have passed as horror really haven't spooked me of late. Perhaps Cabin Fever could be classified as an exception, but scary isn't really the right word, hmm...

great job guys, now I don't have to see this

I liked 6th sense, hated signs

I wouldn't classify any of his films as horror... though it's kind of hard to classify them anyway. Sci-fi/thiller/drama maybe. :)

just watched the movie and I will have to break with the over-all trend and agree with muzikool's assesment... :)

this movie rocks...

imo its probably the 2nd best of his movies after unbreakable and certainly is a class wrt acting talent and dialogue...

what REALLY surprised me was the pacing of the movie and the manner in which Shayamalan chose to mold his characters... unfortunately I did sort of have an inkling as to what it was they were scared of early on but that did not negate from the experience :cool:

adrian brody was brilliant in his role and william hurt did an excellent job... bryce dallas howard has her moments and when she shines she really really shines :D

the cinematography is excellent and the score is a brilliant complement...

I have one word of advice to all who have not seen it and are about to watch it...

DON'T bother to watch the movie if you have your mind full of garbage from other people's "oh don't watch this... its crap" comments... and DON'T bother watching the movie if you are expecting another 6th sense type flick...

each of shayamalan's movie's dealsl with a separate part of the human psyche and is layered differently... if you watch the Village for what it is you will be duly rewarded... if you go in expecting pyrotechnics you are best suited to sticking to your Riddicks and terminators and the like...

the village has a lot of depth and a lot of emotion and has a very simple premise as the backbone...

i recommend this movie to any thinking person out there... :) if you seek a cheap thrill there's always blockbuster or the other flicks of the summer...

I give it a 4.5/5 osnn stars rating... highly recommended :D

Yeah, I was refering to previous posts about it not really being a horror. IMO, I don't think that was the point. The best I could say is that it was different. In it's own right, it was interesting to watch...

Saw this movie yesterday and would recommend it for sure. It wasn't really what they made it in the commercials (few are these days) but I think that made it even better. :)

3/5

Great post, Sazar, I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. You are right-on in regards to the depth and emotion that exists in the film. Also, I agree completely with your advice to leave others' opinions at the door when going in to see it for the first time. With any film, it's difficult to get an unbiased impression if you don't allow yourself to come up with your own conclusions... that's true with alot of things though.

i really liked this movie while my girlfriend didnt.. i recommend this movie if you like a diffrent tyoe of movie than the regular horror. :)

4 out 5 OSNN stars

Shyamalan thriller tops US films

Director M Night Shyamalan has scored another supernatural hit as The Village took the number one spot in the US and Canada box office chart. The movie, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Adrien Brody, took $50.8m (£27.8m) in its opening weekend, knocking the Bourne Supremacy into second place.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3526970.stm

Looks like I'll have to watch it now.

~bk said:
Looks like I'll have to watch it now.
Yeah, go watch it. It really wasn't all that bad...just that I didn't like it as much as his previous movies.
smile.gif

Yea it topped the charts b/c everyone thought it was gonna be something that it wasnt. but i wonder how many ppl wanted their money back

Ill definately have to say it wasnt the best movie i've seen but i wish i would have waited till the dvd came out. should have watched harold and kumar go to white castle instead

What a sucky film, what's the story?! There is none! I rarely actually dislike a film, but this is one :confused:

I'm really sadden by references to 6th sense, it reminds me of a first time user who is blown away by the first hit only to realize he needs twice the dose the second time around.

The Village stands on its own, don't go into the wow-effect type ending other then just to allow yourself to become emmersed into the movie and be taken away by the deliberately slow pace, the moody lighting, superb acting by all involved, the sound effects and music and oh yeah superb writing.

M. Night brings the best out of his actors that is self-evident in all his movies. And that is what you should concentrate on.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as well as all of M. Nights previous releases because of the acting and dialogue.

It's story telling at it's best, a bedtime story for adults without the CGI.

Although after having experienced M. Nights thinking I figured out the ending at the point she set out to enter the woods, but I was still not sure about the creatures.

I was disappointed in myself for having figured out the ending because I wanted that extra dose of wow. However I'm glad I was taken for the ride and would recommend this movie to anyone.

Peace!

Unleashed said:
What a sucky film, what's the story?! There is none! I rarely actually dislike a film, but this is one :confused:
Did you watch the movie? If so that was the story :p

those who are unhappy with the movie or confused about the story... if you wish to have a discussion feel free :)

this thread IS about the movie :cool: ask questions if you want...

:p I just thought the story line was terrible, no real punch line, hardly a glimmer of any action...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back