the ongoing search for good popup blocking software

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ketchupisyourfriend, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Ketchupisyourfriend

Ketchupisyourfriend OSNN Senior Addict

I used proxomitron for a long time but it tends to block too many things that aren't ads. Then I switched to the Meaya pop up stopper and it didn't catch a lot of the ads. Now I'm back at the proxomitron and becoming frustrated again because its blocking normal content. Any suggestions?

2. madboy

madboy Guest

Pop Up Cop 2.0.2.31
    Simple the best!!!! I am using it for a long time and no problem at all!!!!!

3. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

The BEST pop-up/ad blocker...

HOSTS file

Open your host file. c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Add lines such as this...

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 anysite.thatyouhate.com

When IE goes to open a pop-up window it looks for it on your PC. Since it does not exist IE doesn't even open it.

When you find a new site you hate... add it to the list.

4. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

It of course works if you aren't running a web server. I have not tried it running a webserver, but I would be interested to know if it works

5. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Instead of using a separate popup eliminator why don't you try webwasher which does that and a lot more?

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Personally, I must say that my favorite is Popup Popper. It's absolutely free, simple, and lets you pick and choose which sites to allow or disallow. And you can always edit the lists!

7. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

i browse the web w/ Opera and turn off pop-ups in the preferences

8. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

I use firebird and it has a built-in popuptopper and its veru good. i also recoomend popupstopper companion

9. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

Don't forget the new google toolbar. I haven't tried it personally but it does block popups.

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Mozilla, Firebird, Opera, K-meleon and probably more, are all browsers that have in-built pop-up blocking. Works great too :)

11. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

12. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Pretty much fool-proof :D

13. SuDs

SuDs Guest

Norton Personal Firewall
    AMAZING!!! trust me.
    not only does it protect against attackers, i blocks all them ads that popup and show up on your browser.

14. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

but dont ever try to uninstall it :p

"Often, people put taglines down here. WHY?"

15. Ravo_5002

Ravo_5002 Guest

16. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Popup Ad Zero

Popup Ad Zero can help you get rid of annoying advertising popup windows, speed up browsing and protect you privacy online.

Simply blocking all pop-ups will lose some great features of web sites and interfere with user's normal navigation. Popup Ad Zero is so smart that it can identify and block all kinds of advertising popup windows and keep the "good" pop-ups when you surf online. With White List, Popup Ad Zero even can help you customize the popup level based on every web site. By blocking pop-ups without loading ,save your internet bandwidth and speed up browsing by up to 2 to 6 times.

Popup Ad Zero also includes a Cookie Manager that allows users to automatically clean cookies when the last browser exits, protect your privacy online.

This new version stops Messenger popup spam. With free plug-in, it's not only compatible with IE5.01 /5.5 /6.0, also supports Netscape6.2/7.0 and AOL7.0/8.0.

Residing on the system Tray with an icon button, Popup Ad Zero is robust, easy to use, light to your system's resource.

FANTASTIC ALLOWS NORMAL: POPUPS
    :D I reccommend it compleatly

17. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Just use Opera. Does everything.

18. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

all i'm going to say is...

MOZILLA FIREBIRD all the way...

I've been using mozilla for at least 6 months, not a single popup ad, have i ever had...EASY

19. sniper22

sniper22 Guest

The beta toolbar for google works well, it received a 9/9 on the pop-up stopper test for me anyway. Works great.:p

20. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I recommend Crazy Browser, an add-on to IE. Seems to do the job great for me! No unwanted content! :D