The NEW Active Desktop Help Thread.

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Welcome to the NEW Active Desktop help thread. Please keep all posts related in one way or another. Questions will be answered by myself and other forum members (after all, we are all experts in one way or another.

The tutorial is located here.

Feel free to post screen shots of what you have come up in this thread (use the attach feature or link them to your own website).

Enjoy.

[updated on 09.14.2003]

Thanx matt - The info is great .. Now if I could get this work on an autorun cd the way I want it to I would be set lol ..

I'm stuck right at the top of the guide. :rolleyes: I've obviously done some tweaking somewhere. When I click 'customise desktop' I have no 'web' tab. What to do??? All I have is a 'general' tab.

Spent over an hour looking for how I disable active desktop in the first place. Couldn't find it but I did use a script I found at Kelly's Korner. :D

gw Champ,

now to make a new config with both Samurize and active desktop.

I have Avant set as my default browser. When I click a link IE opens. How do I get Avant to open instead?

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
I'm stuck right at the top of the guide. :rolleyes: I've obviously done some tweaking somewhere. When I click 'customise desktop' I have no 'web' tab. What to do??? All I have is a 'general' tab.

I had this problem too. Solution:
TweakUI > Explorer > Allow web content to be added to the desktop. Tick the box.

Nice madmatt! You come back and a few days later a new tutorial. :)

Thanks again,

lieb39

Originally posted by djwhite
I had this problem too. Solution:
TweakUI > Explorer > Allow web content to be added to the desktop. Tick the box.
Thanx for that. That was what I did months ago. When I restore my C drive I can go there instead of using the script I found. :)

I have a brain teaser for u guys. Im making some of the icons on my desktop as links. Is there a way to make "My Computer" as a link. This may be in the wrong section, sorry ahead of time

Managed to get the NTFS desktop going. What happens though is that if the browser is open on the desktop & for example if I open my computer it stays behind the browser. I have to minimise the browser to get at it. (This happens with everything I open.)

If I remove NTFS desktop then my computer will open in front of the browser.

Any ideas what is going on?

Been doing some more 'playing'. :D

I think it is the avant browser causing the problem. Have to troubleshoot it some more. :(

your screencap

thanks for the tutorial Matt. One question...

I love the screencap you posted of your desktop. Any chance you can post the code for it so I can have mine look similar to yours? I don't know how you feel about "copying" and I don't intend to do that.. I just don't know enough html (besides what i've learned in your tutorial).

Anyone know how to allow scripts to run again?... like the CMD in the tut. By accident I clicked "no" in the warning window and now it wont allow me to run the cmd.vbs(see attachment)

If it helps I'm using "localhost" as my active desktop.

I hope you can help me.

I did that once & just clicked on the shortcut again & away it went.

Have you followed the tutorial & tweaked your system to allow active x to run automatically? That's about all I know about it. :(

Any help in getting an active desktop to look similiar to that of madmatts?

im still having problems trying to figure out how to make the background transparent....

Yeah I too would like to be able to make the background transparent and also to make it get rid of the actual window so it blends in with the background. Also, I cant get the quicklaunch to work properly. I can get it to generate the form etc, but it doesnt open any of the programs when you click on them. The code for the quick launch file is

<script>
function exec (command) {
if (document.layers && navigator.javaEnabled()) {
window._command = command;
window.oldOnError = window.onerror;
window.onerror = function (err) {
if (err.indexOf ("User didn't grant") != -1) {
alert('command execution of ' + window._command +
' disallowed by user.');
return true;
}
else return false;
}
netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege
('UniversalExecAccess');
java.lang.Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command);
window.onerror = window.oldOnError;
}
else if (document.all) {
window.oldOnError = window.onerror;
window._command = command;
window.onerror = function (err) {
if (err.indexOf('utomation') != -1) {
alert('command execution of ' + window._command +
' disallowed by user.');
return true;
}
else return false;
};
var wsh = new ActiveXObject('WScript.Shell');
if (wsh)
wsh.Run(command);
window.onerror = window.oldOnError;
}
}
</script>
<script language="JavaScript">
var file
function execute(formObject) {
file = formObject.options[formObject.options.selectedIndex].value;
if (file != "empty") {
java script:exec(file);
file = "";
}
}
</script>
<form name="nav">
<select name="select" onChange="java script:execute(this);">
<option value="empty" selected>Quick Launch</option>
<option value="empty"></option>
<option value="query.vbs">Server Query
<option value="kazaa.vbs">Kazaa Lite
<option value="CounterStrike.vbs">Counter-Strike
<option value="winamp.vbs">WinAmp
<option value="game1.vbs">Game 1
<option value="game2.vbs">Game 2
<option value="game3.vbs">Game 3
</select>
</form>

and I also have all the .vbs files and shortcuts in the windows folder (this is also where the quicklaunch file is located).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back