The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

Not really. I can't get to the last page in this thread now. :( Man, that's some weird shiit.

I'll see what happens when I get home and browse it there.

[edit]
Hah! It works now. Musta been due to the "database error on line xx, input is all fvked up" thingy. :p

I post again and it all fixes itself. Hah!

Damn, my typing sucks rite now. *note to self... no mondo espresso coffee after 6pm*

hello,,,

I happened to this forum from one of the thunderbird postings,,,,

I need your favor for implementing a critical security constraint in my office,,,

we have like 200 computers and we have thunderbird as our email client,,,

A menu option ([Tools]-[Options - Attachments]) brings up an option to point to
the download directory(in our case should point to only "mydocuments" of the user profile)
by default..

In other words, we want to disable the doubleclick prompt for the email and just point to mydocuments for all downloads,,,

I am not sure how to get the job done,,,

I did find the user.js and the prefs.js and try to edit them with the following options to do my task
but it dint work!
the entries I added to the js files are

ADD THE FOLLOWING ENTRIES---------user_pref("browser.download.dir", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\bharathg\\MyDocuments");user_pref("browser.download.folderList", 2);user_pref("browser.download.useDownloadDir", true);---------The first option is to point to mydocumentsThe second option will make the download directory the one we have chosen.The third option will always save stuff to the specified download directorywithout asking.

------
so thats my problem,,, this is critical and I need to get this implemented by next week,,,
PLEASE HELP ME,,,, Can we create a REG file or something to do the same thing,, not sure which one to edit in the registry for this,,,

thanks and regards

DeerPark Alpha 2 is out and running.

directory of ftp mozilla dot org

windows installer for DeerPark Alpha 2

I suggest you uninstall Alpha 1 first even though it will install to a separate directory. It seems that if you install Alpha 2 without uninstalling Alpha 1 that when ya go into the "Control Panel" "Add or Remove Programs" it can't find a certain file and it will not continue with the uninstall. I am gonna try at home and see if it is the same. Or not chance it and just uninstall first. :p

Last edited:
Browster 1.0 on the frontpage of OSNN works with Firefox as well as IE even though it doesn't say it in the news post(gets installed as an extension). I love it so far and think it's worth a shot

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Where do I find the Firefox "Temporary Internet Files" list as in IE. I have looking around in the "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6gpcs028.default" folder, but can't it.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\something.Username

I had 2 different directories there so you can default it to one location by:
somewhere from the web said:
  • In the address bar type in about:config
  • Right Click anywhere on the white are of that page and select New | String
  • Enter in browser.cache.disk.parent_directory then click OK
  • Next enter the full path you wish the cache to be stored in (C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Cache would work just fine)
  • Close FF and delete the old cache directories.
  • Either create the directory or restart FF and it should create the directory for you.
This is an easy method of keeping it all in one centralized location as well as giving you a bit more control when it comes to setting size limitations.

Also if you don't see it in the folder you have posted above make sure you're actually cache is being saved by going into the browser, typing in the address bar: about:cache

This will show the directory and other info. Make sure once you change it as I did above it's defaulting to the new directory.

And people wonder why I love SeaMonkey better then Firefox, it's all in the menu. :) You pick where it's saved and everything w/out having to go into about:config.

It would seem to me about:config is a blessing. If every option there was stored in the menu system I'd be lost in a see of unnecessary hovering.

about:config is dynamic, easy to use, and simple to tweak.

mfarley said:
It would seem to me about:config is a blessing. If every option there was stored in the menu system I'd be lost in a see of unnecessary hovering.

about:config is dynamic, easy to use, and simple to tweak.
Well SeaMonkey only puts the most common stuff in the preferences and you can always go into about:config if need be. It's the best of both worlds IMHO. :)

Firefox is still the baby that is feature stripped and slower SeaMonkey. :p

Xie said:
Well SeaMonkey only puts the most common stuff in the preferences and you can always go into about:config if need be. It's the best of both worlds IMHO. :)

Firefox is still the baby that is feature stripped and slower SeaMonkey. :p
You need to get over the SeaMonkey fanboyism. Fx is faster, that's exactly what it was designed to be, and there are no features missing.

SPeedY_B said:
You need to get over the SeaMonkey fanboyism. Fx is faster, that's exactly what it was designed to be, and there are no features missing.
Not a fanboy at all. I've used both and have seen the benchmarks showing the speed thing. ;) Until FX drops the extra core stuff it won't be faster then 1.8.

As for features, it surely does lack them in GUI at least.

But then I guess that is why we have choices and why SeaMonkey project is going to continue on .. so people can have a choice.

At it's core that's exactly why the arguements against Open Source and the absurdity that IE7 will make alternate browsers obsolete (as one c-net editor put it) is just nonsense.

You like SeaMonkey (for some random reason) great, enjoy. I fell in love with Galeon in my linux days and people thought I was mad. :)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I dont know if this has been posted. if it has, excuse the double post:)

Even though firefox has a popup blocker that works well. but it does not seem block the new "flash" popups. use the about:config to add new script to block them.

Firefox: Block Flash popups

1. Type about:config into the Firefox location bar.
2. Right-click on the page and select New and then Integer.
3. Name it privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
4. Set the value to 2.

The possible values are:

* 0: Allow all popups from plugins.
* 1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
* 2: Block popups from plugins.
* 3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.

tdinc said:
I dont know if this has been posted. if it has, excuse the double post:)

Even though firefox has a popup blocker that works well. but it does not seem block the new "flash" popups. use the about:config to add new script to block them.

Firefox: Block Flash popups

1. Type about:config into the Firefox location bar.
2. Right-click on the page and select New and then Integer.
3. Name it privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
4. Set the value to 2.

The possible values are:

* 0: Allow all popups from plugins.
* 1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
* 2: Block popups from plugins.
* 3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.

Great tip tdinc! Just did it. Reps to you

I haven't been impressed with 1.5 at all. Constant crashes, and for some reason it occassionally likes to eat up 50%+ of the CPU and like 200 MB of RAM :S

Add to that the fact that two of my favorite extentions don't work and I want to revert back to the last version. Is it possible to do that without losing any of my bookmarks and settings? What would be the easiest way to go about doing that?

Grandmaster said:
Add to that the fact that two of my favorite extentions don't work and I want to revert back to the last version. Is it possible to do that without losing any of my bookmarks and settings? What would be the easiest way to go about doing that?
I would back up your profile folder just in case, so if something should go bad you can just replace contents of new profile w/ old contents. :) You really only need bookmarks.html for bookmarks but some other usefull files in there also for things like cookies, ect.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back