The DVI connector [ benefits ]

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cosmin, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Just for me .. really - really matters for an TFT [ refering to Samsung almost .. ] ?

2. chris

chris Free to Fly

Never used a monitor with a DVI connector.. but I'll be interested to see what people think as my graphics card has a DVI socket and I'm looking into getting a TFT

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

dvi v/s vga == digital v/s analog..

there are supposed to be some benefits I spose but I have not seen them when setting up my friends new computer...

perhaps when it comes to professional or advanced 3d work it is more apparent... but for day to day usage I have seen no improvements personally...

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

DVI will help you get rid of cable related problems like shadowing for instance. My dad's TFT has some really dreadful shadowing that would probably go away with DVI (which it doesn't support).

5. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

what zedric said + its suposed to have better image quality but you would never be able to tell at a glance you would have to look real close and study the screen, and well...... who does that?!

6. Polypeptide

Polypeptide Guest

To me, I think it's one of those things that if you use DVI for long enough, you definately notice TFT or LCD panels using VGA. I have a 19 inch tft lcd with dvi and I can tell when my monitor's on a vga output, and 9 times out of 10 i can tell when other lcd's aren't using DVI. True, it's a small change, but i've grown to notice it. That's my 2 cents.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

one thing i don't understand is why all lcd's don't accept dvi input. after all, it's more of a native signal for lcd monitors which are all digital. is it just because equipping the actual dvi port with it's 30+ pins adds like $10 to production costs?
    :confused:

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Probably. The analogue interface has to be there anyway for compatibility, so you can't make a cheap DVI-only screen. And two interfaces cost more than one. Not only because of the extra plug.

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, but i don't think i've seen a 15" lcd yet that even has a dvi plug.

which leads me to believe it might be resolution related as well. i'm thinking the higher the resolution, the more an analog signal be susceptible to evil things like shadowing. so larger lcd's with their 1280x1024 resolution and higher can benefit more from the dvi interface.

back to the basic topic, dvi also provides better color accuracy. in addition, you don't have to worry about centering the screen, though a lot of lcd's have an auto-center feature. :)

10. Polypeptide

Polypeptide Guest

Uhhh, my Phillips 15 inch LCD on my old p3 has dvi and vga....

11. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

There are a lot of models that supports even DVI .. Philips is one of them and CTX has a few new models with DVI

12. chris

chris Free to Fly

Maybe alot of LCDs and TFTs dont have DVI connectors because only now are the more accessible graphics cards are coming with them on. By accessible i mean both price and availabilty.

13. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

what about plugging Vga monitors into DVI with the adapter any difference or is it back to the you are as good as your weakest part...

14. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

when you have a video card with a dvi connector... and it comes with a dvi-to-vga adapter, using that adapter puts the card into vga mode. in other words, the adapter doesn't do any work itself, but rather just cue's the card to outputting a vga signal out of designated pins on it's dvi port. so, exact same quality as a pure vga port.