Task manager

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DrMetallica, Aug 4, 2002.

1. DrMetallica

DrMetallica OSNN Senior Addict

You guys prolly know how to switch from the crappy XP-style search and the better, classic WIN2K seach.

well,

"let me ask you stupid question"

can I get the regular, classic WIN9x task manager on WINXP?

Sometimes I'm playing a full-screen 3d game, and it freezes up, so i hit ctrl-alt-deleate and nothing shows up. I like the WIN9x ctrl-alt-deleate thing 'cos it would at least show up. and i could reboot my computer if i just hit crtl-alt-delete once more.

2. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

I don't know what you mean about the search - no matter what it looks like - it still does the same job.
    As for your program crashing - before running the game:
    try right clicking on the incon and selecting "Compatibility" from the menu and selecting "Disable Visual Theme" that might help a little - or even selecting run in Win98 mode.

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

is the whole computer thats frozen or just the game? have you tried pressing alt-tab or the windows key to get back to windows then ending hte game but right clicking onthe taskbar buton and selecting close

4. DrMetallica

Yeah, its just the program, but it affects the computer. I tried in warcraft 3 (the paid-for version) and zone alarm asked me "do you want this program to access the internet". so it didn't allow access to the internet, and wc3 wasn't going to continue running without internet access, so it just stopped. Ctrl alt delete didn' t do anything.

unfortunatly, these games are full-screen, so i can't right click on the taskbar, and I can't "alt-tab" on most games, like warcraft3, rtcw, moh:aa. it just doesn't do anything when you hit alt-tab.

5. DrMetallica

I gotta try that...

6. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I have to use Alt-Enter for some games.

7. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

I have noticed that I cannot use ctrl-alt-del also on some games. The task box doesnt show up. What DOES work is use Winkey+L (switchuser) combo. You just haveta log back in :)