System_sav (d: )

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by LilBlueDawg, Oct 17, 2002.

1. LilBlueDawg

LilBlueDawg Guest

sup guys, my compaq computer with Windows XP came with 2 hard drives. A Local Disk (C: ), and a SYSTEM_SAV (D: ). I wuz wonderin wut the SYSTEM_SAV (D: ) is for. There's a buncha system files in it. It's only 6.7GB total, and there's only 551MB left free. Wut will happen if it gets full?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

It's probably som weird Compaq specific system restore thing. If the disk gets full anything could happen depending on how they made the program. Since XP already has a system restore I'd probably repartition the whole drive and install XP from the beginning to get the extra space back.

A warning though! Some brand computers (I believe Compaq made some) have their BIOS on the hdd. Really feckin stupid if you ask me. Anyway, if you repartition such a disk your computer won't start since you won't have a BIOS anymore. Make sure your computer isn't one of these first!

<edit>Oh, two drives. Um, same advice anyway. :)</edit>

3. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

never knew that.......that is dumb.

4. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

Thats because it isn't true I have a compaq with the bios on the hdd u can fdisk the hell out of it format it anyway you want it don't matter. BUT if u take the hdd out then the pc does not work anymore.

5. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

my step dad's compaq has the same system save D: partition too.. its part of the compaq restore program.. to restore your computer to its original condition.. it came in really handy when i installed *nix on it and it didn't like the boot loader.. i guess i could have fdisk /mbr.. but i like doing things the hard way..

6. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

" Thats because it isn't true I have a compaq with the bios on the hdd u can fdisk the hell out of it format it anyway you want it don't matter. BUT if u take the hdd out then the pc does not work anymore. "

That's even worse.
    No offense to intented to compac users, but, I always through compacs were junk, this just confirms it for me :)

7. LilBlueDawg

LilBlueDawg Guest

how can u tell if the bios is on the HD?

8. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Disonnect the primary HDD, and turn on the computer, see if it boots. if it does, then bios on mobo. if not, then well, you get it.