System Restore not functioning properly

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by cr3434, Sep 7, 2006.

1. cr3434

cr3434 OSNN Junior Addict

I've been having issues with my system restore. I was unable to restore to any points on my system. I disabled system restore, thus erasing all previous restore points, then re-enabled it. I created a point, then immediately restored to that point. It worked. This was yesterday. Today I am again unable to restore to any of my previous points, even the one I used yesterday. Any thoughts?

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I've never had any luck with System Restore, I disable it and don't even use it.

3. cr3434

cr3434 OSNN Junior Addict

I'm starting to view it the same way. I don't see the purpose if it doesn't even work. On a separate note, are you familiar with Adobe products? I was cleaning up old printers installed on my computer, and I accidentally erased the "Adobe PDF" printer (for Acrobat 6.0 Standard), and I've lost my Adobe disks. That's why I was trying to restore in the first place.

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

You could try downloading Acrobat off the internet and use your CDKey.

I was going to suggest a repair install but it will probably ask for the discs, same for trying to update it.

5. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

I'm not sure if this will help in your situation (but it can't hurt)! I've found that there are sometimes excess files in the SVI folders and they need to be deleted for System Restore to work. While there may be a better way to do this, the method I've found that works best is to do the following:

1) Disable System Restore on all drives (restore points are immediately deleted)

2) Reboot (may be unnecessary in most cases, but can't hurt)

3) Look in each SVI folder and if there are any files, delete them. The folders should be completely empty.

4) Re-enable System Restore on the drives you want protected.

5) Reboot.

Then try to restore to your new Restore point. Let some time pass and then create another restore point and see if you can restore to either or both of these points.

Bottom line is turning restore off does not delete any extraneous files if they exsist - it only deletes the restore points! These extra files somehow corrupt the restore points. Try it - it can't hurt! Good Luck!