System Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by GraLk, Sep 9, 2002.

1. GraLk

GraLk Guest

Hi people...need some help pls...

I have multi partitioned drives on both my Win2000 and my XP machines, C (system), D, E, etc.

My question is, can I format the system drive and do a re-install of XP or 2K without losing what is in the other partitions?

The reason I ask is that I have a weird problem with Outlook that neither a repair or an update (to Office 2002 Pro) has fixed.

Thx in advance for any help you guys 'n' gals can give me.

GraLk :D

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

U should not have any problems formatting ur system drive since u said u had multi partitioned drives on ur systems. The only things u will lose r ur settings and start menu items that point to were a program is and anything else that is on the partition with the OS

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Take it slow & becareful that the partition you are formating is the correct one.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You will also need to reinstall most of your software since your registry settings will be lost after a format.
    However, your data on the second partition WILL remain intact. :)

5. allan

allan Guest

Yep, all of the above is correct. That's one of the primary purposes for partitioning - the ability to "lose" or reformat one partition without effecting the others.

6. GraLk

GraLk Guest

Thanks everyone, that is how I thought it was, but I just wanted to check with all you REAL computer buffs.

Thx again.

GraLk :D :D

7. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

8. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

yes you can, that's exactly what I do, I have all the stuff I download on a diff partition (patchs, utilities, music) that way I don't have to go and d/l everything again