Synchronised audio over two PC's?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by smoothyuk, Aug 22, 2005.

1. smoothyuk

smoothyuk OSNN Junior Addict

I've been trying to get my head around supplying audio to two different rooms without running any wires. I have a desktop PC in the basement and a laptop connected to the stereo in the living room. The machines are networked and share folders so as I have a party coming up where the guests will be spread around the place I wanted a simple solution to playing the same music throughout the house. Both rooms are in earshot of each other I can't really have any delay going on or it's gonna sound awful, I've tried broadcasting over lan with Tonecast but that's giving a good second or so lag on the receiving end.

Basically my music folders are shared so all I need is a way to sync a media player on both machines, I mostly use winamp v5 for playback but I haven't come across any plug-in that attempts to meet my needs here, if there's any other player out there with some sort of networking synchronisation built in I'll very happily give it a whirl. Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

if you had iTunes and an AirTunes thinger then you could stick them anywhere you had speakers. There is a bit of lag in the devices though, but the lag should be roughly the same, though I dont know if you can play to two different units at the same time

3. smoothyuk

I just looked Airtunes Express up, a neat idea but since I just moved house (the party is a house warming thing) I wasn't looking to buy any extra hardware for this one time event, have enough cash flying out the window buying furniture this month. *shudder*

I'll keep it in mind down the road though, god knows I can't resist blowing money on gadgets.

4. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Setup a Winamp server on the source PC, tune in with your lappie?

I use SPDIF optical out from my PC directly to my stereo, no lag.

5. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

6. smoothyuk

Ok I tried the shoutcast route (that thing's not half as user friendly as it should be!) and I'm still stuck with delay between the server and client output, I think to get things going well using broadcasting I would have to have three computers networked, the server without speakers, and the desktop/laptop both taking the same delay on playback, although this isn't an option as I'm without a third machine. :(

7. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

This is the best option.

http://www.speakerworks.net/wireless.html

Buy wireless speakers, And simple have the desktop as the only machine running the music, you'll have lag no matter what broadcast setup you have.