Symantec Ghost Image Restoration

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gh057, Oct 28, 2006.

1. gh057

gh057 w3lc0m3 t0 7h3 r3al w0r1d

hiya , been tryin to restore an image created by Norton Symantec Ghost 8.0 btw apologies for putting this post here couldnt find a general section :rolleyes:
    anyways the clone was created Ghost8.0 bootup CD. I used the Image All setting to clone ,to an external USB hardrive now i am trying to restore the image to the laptop harddrive problem is its asking me for a file with .gho extention. any help ?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Re: Symantec Ghost **Image Restoration**

Thread Moved

.GHO Files are the main Ghost Image file, it's a proprietary file extension used by Ghost. .GHS files are spans of the .GHO, as Ghost splits the files up every 2GB or so, but they can't be read/restored without the .GHO file to go along with it.

What is the extension for the file you are trying to restore?

-edit-

Here is some decent info : http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_3.htm

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  3. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Re: Symantec Ghost **Image Restoration**

When you say Ghost 8.0 are you talking about Ghost 2003?

Clone and Image are two different things. The .gho is an image file, clone is just a complete replica/copy of your drive (no file type if you use the clone feature) you cannot restore an image from a clone/copy.

You will have to use the clone feature again and clone it back if you used “clone drive and not backup drive”.

“You cannot use restore image with a clone of the drive”

4. gh057

gh057 w3lc0m3 t0 7h3 r3al w0r1d

No its not ghost 2003 its ghost 8.0 enterprise edition.
    and i think you are right about the cloning becuase i dont see an image w/ .gho extention , i guess i basically copied my laptop drive into my external ,only problem is theresnt an option where i can restore Clone -->HD

solution found i did make a clone >.< instead of an image ... I feel stupid :-(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006