SWG The adventure in crashing

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by JulianLasher, Jul 21, 2003.

1. JulianLasher

JulianLasher Guest

I bought SWG the day of the release fully expecting it to have bugs, and trouble spots. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
    I have only been able to play the game for about 2 hours total since I installed on 6/26/03. I upgraded my memory and that helped a little I even got to play for about half an hour before it crashed.
    I do not want to give up on it, but I also do not want to pay $15 a month for something that does not work. I have never played A MMORPG before and I have no intention playing another.
    If anybody has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

2. albybum

albybum Penguin Rancher

For the first few days of release, I felt the exact same way. I was in beta for a while, and I was blown away when they announced the release date because it was so rough and unfinished.

For the first two weeks I was crashing to the desktop like every 10 minutes and the servers were down constantly.

I am happy to say that I have solved all of my problems with crashing to the desktop, and the servers seem far more stable.

I absolutely love Star Wars Galaxies, and it will only get better from here.

_-------------
    My problem was my RAM. I had mismatched sizes of RAM. Normally this wouldn't cause a problem, but Windows XP seems to have some issues with memory addressing when physical ram is mismatched.

I used memory testing software and other computers to test, and I never found a problem. I now have 2 matching 512 sticks of Kingston ram and I have no problems with the game.

Before I had 2 (256) sticks and 1 (512) stick.

If you have the newest Chipset drivers for your motherboard, and the suggested video card and video card drivers, I would check the ram. That seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

3. JulianLasher

JulianLasher Guest

Thank you for your response, I think the game will be great once it gets some of the bugs out. I have 768 MB of ram, I just recently installed a new 512 stick, Corsair, and it seemed to improve the amount of time I could play. Do you think I should remove the old 256 memory since I have XP?

4. JulianLasher

JulianLasher Guest

I was having major crashing issues before I added the additional ram. I have updated all the drivers as well.

5. albybum

albybum Penguin Rancher

I would just try the 512 stick and see if it still crashes

6. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I too was involved in the beta. I got really sick of it after the last character wipe. That game is WAAAAYYYY too involved, as far as I go, Idont have the time to learn a new galaxy, economy, character affiliations, etc... The game itself is pretty good, not worth $15 a month IMO.