Swapfile question?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Beginning, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Beginning

Beginning I'm Beginning Somehow...

Ok.... I have XP Pro installed and to date I always use a small partition @ the start of my slave drive for a set pagefile. about 3.5 gigs. I wonder if I dual boot Windows 7 and XP will I be able to use the same pagefile for Windows 7? Seeing as both Windows 7 and XP uses a pagefile, but they aren't running @ the same time?

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

ys, you can use the same pagefile, if you want your dumps when it crashes leave a small pagefile on the system volume of each os as as well

for paging the system will use the least used pagefile, for dumps it will use the system pagefile

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. Beginning

Beginning I'm Beginning Somehow...

Well thanks for the input perris... I posted this question on a few other boards and most everyone recommended me not to try it, it occurred to me that it may crash both XP & Windows 7. Not that reinstalling scares me it's just becoming a really job. :) So I didn't do it.. :) Call me chicken but that's the way it goes ... Cheers!!

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

absolutely no problem using the same pagefile, there is nothing the os sees from previous boot when you reboot

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I have a question, would disabling the swapfile or fixing it to around 2gb be a good idea if you have 4gb or more of RAM?

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

disabling is a no-no. Setting a fixed size of 1.5x ram is usually sufficient.