Suspected NHL gambling ring being investigated by NJ attorney General

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Mastershakes, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

EDIT - Mods - don't know if this belongs in hard talk, please move if needed. /shakes

Worst part is, it embroils the Great One as well... sad day.

ESPN

It appears NJ attorney general is going to proceed with charges against Toccett.

His response yesterday via his nouveau lawyer Marino:

Now besides the occasional 20$ buy in for a poker game among friends, I've never really gambled. What are everybody's thoughts on this?

It is forbidden for players/coaches to bet on NHL games - but my thoughts are ... is this a witchhunt? Was there some bad blood between the Jersey troopers who are already sitting in jail, and the NHL crew?

Is it possible many other players were involved such as Recchi and Leclair (ex Habs) ?

As the story develops, will we see evidence that the Great one is betting via his wife?

I'm still too shocked, but desparately hope these boys didn't really do all this, or it's not as widespread as the media has painted it thus far.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Yeah, I've been following this story pretty closely at work. Crazy how they named it "Operation Slapshot", and have linked it to the New Jersey organized crime families...

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Yeah dude, there is also talk of a link to Philly crime lords, but the authorities still havn't had anything solid yet.

4. kcnychief

I'm not so sure if the Philly crime lord thing will happen.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, that was linked to something back in the early 90's about a known mobster sitting in Eric Lindross's seats while he was a Flyer. Apparently the mobster stated he didn't get them from Lindross, rather from a broker.

5. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

UPDATE

oh shizzle !

6. kcnychief

Uh oh.... :eek:

That really is a shame. I'd hate to see the Great One get tarnished :(

7. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Likewise. I think he'll cooperate fully with the investigation.

An Olympic Gold medal repeat is in the works for Team Canada, led by the Great One. (not coaching, but he put the team together)

Let's hope this blows over by the time the Olympics are over.... but the way it looks now, it doesn't look great for the great one.

8. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Never cared for Gretzky outside the rink. it goes to show no matter how great someone seems to be there will always be a darkside...

If this new info is found to be true, I lost ALL respect for the man. What a shame..:smoker:

9. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Well, he never played for Detroit, so that is expected. LOL JK

We shall see how the story develops.... I hope he can save some face, paint the wife as a gambling junkie.

10. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

SOURCE

Lots of hedging going on.... I'll keep the thread updated for y'all who care. :)

11. kcnychief

Very daring comments by Gretzkey, let's hope they are genuine.

12. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

He may come out of this unscathed:

TSN

13. kcnychief

I just think it's silly, someone should get fired for this crap. A few days ago there was a "wire tap" proving he was, now there is a "wire tap" proving he wasn't. Almost not sure what to believe at this point :s