SuSe 8.1 Available For Download

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Source : Distro Watch
SuSE is now available for free. In line with SuSE's download policy, the entire 8.1 directory tree, equivalent to the SuSE's Professional Edition has been uploaded to SuSE's mirrors. As usual, there are no ISO images -- instead SuSE provides a method to install it on your computer directly from an FTP server. You will need the boot CD: boot.iso (18MB). Download it, boot from it and type 'install=ftp://ftp_server/directory' of your chosen mirror at the boot prompt. Read the README, SuSE's FTP installation howto and this site's earlier review describing the FTP installation process. SuSE's main FTP site itself does not carry the 8.1 directory so try one of the servers from this list of German or International mirrors. This is the first time that SuSE has provided the FTP edition so soon (about three weeks) after the official release; previously the delay was nearly two months! On a related note, The Register has published a review of SuSE 8.1 aptly named SuSE 8.1 illustrates MS' fear. Enjoy!

And a few more links :) ...
Boot.iso
Download Mirrors
Install HowTo

Then why did 'Scan' used to or does sell this for about 80 quid then ?

SuSe isn't a free operating system, they maintain funding via sales of the o/s
which is why scan where and probably still are retailing it.

Debian Linux (www.debian.org) has offered their entire package trees avalible for download from a minimal install image (bout 10MB) for a long time. They also have full ISOs avalible for download. It is completly free, and is NOT sold at all in stores. Download only.

Also note Debian is not a good "newbie" Linux. It has no GUI by default, and is not recomended for users who are just starting with Linux. If you're new to Linux check out www.redhat.com or www.mandrakesoft.com

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back