suggestions for ADSL router

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brodie, Jun 11, 2002.

1. brodie

brodie OSNN Addict

soon i'll be moving to an area where I can get ADSL connection to the 'net. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to setup a wireless network in my house so I don't need to in cable etc all over the place for my laptop. The desktop pc will be connected to ADSL router by cable (USB??)

I'm after suggestions as to brand/model of ADSL router to buy. It needs to be able to:
    handle wireless networking as well as being firewall etc for whole system.
    allow me to setup easily and maintain security etc
    maybe have print server or will just share printer from home based pc

what do you all recommend???
    any suggestions would be great.

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Well to do that you NEED to request a Ethernet based modem, not a USB modem. If you get an ethernet modem, use thisL:

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=415

If it is a USB modem, you would need to enable ICS on one machine, and then hardwire it to an access point for the rest of the wireless network. IF you do that, you do NOT need firewall or NAT/sharing features, the desktop running ICS does that already. If you get a USB modem, enable ICS and get:

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=157

JJB6486

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

4. brodie

brodie OSNN Addict

Thanks for the tips, I was hoping to try and find a router with modem built in. I will look for price and availability of both in Australia and see how I go.

5. michaelh

michaelh Guest

hey mate,

don't waste your money on an internet router, set up an old PC to do it for you.
    Interested?
    e-mail me.
    hudaks@bigpond.net.au

6. mickfarrar

mickfarrar OSNN One Post Wonder

I think NATs is enough to persuade me to select a router over an old PC.

7. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

The Netgear Model DG834G 54mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router Combines modem, router, switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall
    Up to 5X faster than 802.11b
    True Firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) & Intrusion Control, Denial of Service (DoS), Virtual Private Network (VPN) pass-through
    Smart Wizard detects/connects to your ISP
    Works with both 802.11g & 802.11b

Recommended retail price, $349 AUD

You should be able to find it alot cheaper than $349 tho.

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

You could increase your networking geek credits and get a cisco 837 :D (which is the cisco branded replacement for Linksys non-wireless dsl/cable routers)

but i find anything linksys/netgear/dlink will do you well.

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I strongly recommend against a combined modem router. You will pay a little less but when the next generation routers or wifi come out you will have to buy a whole new rig.

I'm still running my original DSL Modem (5 or 6 years old this month, I lost track) but have been through numerous routers/hubs/wifi as the technology keeps upgrading.

My latest router is the Netgear WGR614 (100 MB router with wifi) which I got for $20USD after rebates. There is a big surplus of wifi gear out there and companies are dumping to clear inventory.

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

There is no valid reason not to get a combined modem/router.

11. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

I can recommend 100% Belkin Router with Built in Modem , with website simple setup instructions and 24x7 free phone helpline.

12. mrpwlee

mrpwlee OSNN One Post Wonder

ADSL Setup

This is my first posting to a thread, here goes.....

I have recently bought a Nokia IP40 Firewall to play with I was intending to connect to my internet connection (BT Anypoint 3240 Modem).

The first issue I had was that the BT kit is terminated on a USB Connection, so I bought a 7 port usb hub then I went from the hub to the nokia with a belkin media convertor (rj45) which is patched into the WAN port on my Firewall.

I have a connection from my laptop to the LAN port on the firewall.

Does anybody know what IP configuration I need to add to my network cards and what needs configuring on the Nokia? BT assigns me a DHCP address (different every time) and it is starting to annoy me now!!!

Any help would be gratefully received.

13. Weasel

Weasel Define 'Cynical'

Be sure to check out the D-Link DI-604 (had good results with it) which is made to compete with the Linksys BEFSR41 and you could always snag up a wireless AP later down the road. There's also the DI-624 or DI-524 if you want wireless capability slapped on to a router. I may seem like a D-Link freak but after all the troubles Linksys gave me, D-Link is a superior alternative. Also check out Netgear and Belkin.

14. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

15. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I would go with Heny with the Linksys WAG54G or the Netgear DG834G

16. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Also recommend

17. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

Netgear DG834G

Highly recommend the Netgear DG834G. I've installed these for several clients. Easy to set up and configure. Excellent Wireless coverage. What more do you need?? :)

18. mrpwlee

mrpwlee OSNN One Post Wonder

The short answer to this one is, bin the anypoint modem and get a bt modem with an ethernet connection it worked first time.