Suggest A Good Music Program (PC)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by lancer, Aug 8, 2006.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

After Muzikools site, I want to get back into doing music again as i did in england, i used to use Cubase ( i think that was what it was called), is there anything like that, basically a program that you can create music on your pc?

well in searching i found cubase, i think i'm just going to go with that, who knows perhaps muzikool will have to save a slot for me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Something good for mixing/matching/editing/cutting music would be Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge - amazing product

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/

3. lancer

thanks KC, for the sound forge program, can i actually create music on the pc, or do i need to purchase instruments to record onto the product?

4. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I have worked with DJ computing, pretty much setting up computers for DJ's. Using many types of software, but most (any good ones) are over $40.

If you are interested in those types I will give you names and links.

Mixing and matching already made songs, Audicity of course.

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Sound Forge is just an editing program (my favorite, though! I use it almost daily). To actually create music ex nihilo, there are a few good tools on this page. Cakewalk might be what you want.

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Yeah, SoundForge is primarily for editing, although I have done some tracks that I have recorded via a microphone. I have found from comparison however the sound quality of a track recorded via SoundForge is not as high as other programs, like Cake Walk for example as Petros suggested

7. lancer

Has anyone here use cubase recently, its about $560 so $40 would be ok to :) i'll look at cakewalk

petros what do you do to work with sound forge all day?

edit: well i followed that MS link and it also touted cubase, i think thats what i am going to go for....

Thanks all

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  8. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I don't work with it all day anymore; most of what I use it for now is to make ringtones lol... When I worked in radio, though, I used it a ton to produce ads, PSAs, and liners.

9. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

Once again, I second Audacity... For a free program (or even most paid ones) it's pretty decent. Also, Cakewalk is really good for recording - SoundForge was pretty good a few years ago so I'm sure it's even better now. If you want more dj type software I would recommend VirtualDJ - it's the best dj software I came across yet.

To create different instrument's sounds on your pc you will probably have to go midi. The only good midi program I can recommend would be Garageband for Mac, but since you said pc...

Here is a list of software packs that I found. - Most of them will probably support a little keyboard input via midi to which you could setup virtually any instrument to.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/key/navigation?EC=5269&N=100001+305268

Good Luck :)

10. lancer

I plan on concentrating on VST within whichever program i use, so for now i wont need a keyboard.