stuck in PIO

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Taurus, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

friend complained about poor overall performance in xp all of a sudden, especially while gaming. so i come over only to find out his harddrive (primary master) is stuck in PIO:
    [​IMG]

i'm pretty sure there's a registry fix for this. i know that xp might of had a problem with the hd at one point and permanently locked it in slow-pio prison. help me get it out and let it have a second chance at life!
    :(

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

okay, found a way to fix it. i merely uninstalled the primary channel, rebooted and xp found it, then rebooted again. running in dma mode 5 now. before that i tried uninstalling the hd but that didn't do nothin'.

i still think there's a reg fix for this, though. so if someone could post that, me and anyone doing a search for this particular problem (my search turned up no related threads) would appreciate it.

:)

3. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

This is one of my old ones:cool: ,

Open REGEDIT and find the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\control\class\ {4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

Last four digits are likely 0001, 0002. Under those keys you will find MasterIDdataChecksum, SlaveIddataChecksum. Delete the value corrosponding to your drive.It will make th OS redetect the drive DMA capabilities after rebooting.

Hope it helps.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

that's the one! thanks, tony.