Stuck In PIO mode 4

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
Ok, since all my subscribed threads (along with everyone elses it seems) are gone, I have to ask this question since I had subscribed to some threads dealing with it.

I have (2) 60 gig HDD on my primary IDE controller. All is fine, they run at UDMA mode 4.

On my Secondary channel, I have a LG 8120B burner and a Hitatchi GD 7500 DVD. The Burner is Master. I know that the DVD is capapble of UDMA2. It had been using it at some point. I thought the burner was capable of this too, but It won't allow me to select it in the BIOS. If I do, when I switch to Auto, it goes back to PIO4. So, now both drives are using PIO4.

I have tried the latest VIA 4in1's, no help. System Restored back to before I installed them.

I know someone had posted a registry hack that would force UDMA2. Can't find it. Don't know if it would work

Don't know what else to do. SOme things I have thought of are:
1) disconnect secondary controller and boot. then shutdown and reconnect it and then boot again and let the BIOS detect.
2) Use a Controller card (I don't wanna do this, cos the one I have adds about 2 min to my boot time [SIIG Ultra ATA 133 PCI])
3) Leave well enough alone since the only downside I have seen is that dvd ripping speed is slower.

Someone wanna help me out.

Another Idea I've had is that maybe we could make a sticky about this subject cos it seems alot of people have this problem in XP.

Thanks for reading

-Jesse

Can someone help me out

THat thread helps alot. I also know that there are alot more threads floating around about this. So, if anyone knows of things that work, I'm game...

UPDATE:
I've tried unplugging the secondary IDE channel and booting and then plugging it in before booting again to let Windows re-autodetect. No dice.

I was looking in "Device Manage" I realized that after installing the new VIA 4in1's that the new IDE BUS Master does not seem to be installed, driver listed is from MS. So I clicked on "update driver" and it did install a VIA driver, however it is dated from 10/2001.

I was also playing around in my BIOS. Both drives are autodetected and it allows me to allow DMA2 for the DVD but will not accept DMA for the CDRW.

This leads me more to believe that this is BIOS/MOBO issue than a driver or Windows problem.

My MOBO is a Asustek Pegasus (for HP) and I updated the BIOS with the only BIOS update available before installing XP (box was formally a WinME machine). I cannot find any other BIOS updates or anything on the HP site.

Now, Should I just leave well enough alone and just wait til I can afford a new processor and MOBO? (But I'd really like to solve this...)

Anyone with some experience with HP?

Don't know if this suggestion was offered in the other thread, but have you tried switching the drives and making the current master the slave and vice-versa?

Or, something you could do pretty cheaply would be to buy an add-in IDE PCI. You can hook your harddrives to that and use the mobo IDE for the CD drives, one on each cable. You can get a Promise ATA66 card for about $20 US, maybe cheaper.

Did you try the registry fix that i have posted before?,also problems may occur when you add a DVD and a CDRW on the same IDE as both run best when set as Master on their own IDE. Make sure the jumper pins on the drive are set correctly try setting both to Cma also if available update firmwares from here(http://www.firmware.fr.st/) and also you could try a new cable or if the drive is only ATA 33(which yours is capable of!) then you need to use the older 40 wire cable, not the 80 wire most peeps use (<<i know i am going to get ear ache over this)but in XP on some devices it will cause XP to CX Cache write back..and the drive not to respond.
Remove the main IDE controller and reboot the machine it may fix the problem.... if XP gets 6 errors from a drive wether it be CD or harddrive XP will sow it down to PIO mode...The fix is to remove IDE controller and reboot.Also try uninstalling the secondary IDE channel from device manger and then rebooting.Have you tried the latest IDE Busmaster driver & latest IDE Miniport driver please create a restore point before installing these drivers.

Also have you tried hooking up the offending device to your master hard drive ?(just to see if you get the same results..not to keep it that way)also
is this enabled in your bios ?>> Allow PCI Bus Masters = Enabled
Try removing the 'VIA Bus Master IDE Controller' driver from the Device Manager, the system should reinstall the drivers automatically after a reboot.
About the bios showing PI04 mode my last mb a Epox 8kha+used to show that but windows would always detect them as dma capable.
Can you give us an update if all this fails

I did do the regedit. Got the DVD drive to udma2. Have updated the Bus master, uninstalled, reinstalled, pulled the secondary controller completely and physically. It is on an 80 wire cable...

I'm afraid to update the drive firmware. It is an HP branded drive. The current firmware is 1.03. Since that site says specifically NOT to update if it is HP branded and god forbid HP make any firmware updates available, I don't know what to do.

I will try moving it around to the master or to theHDD cable and see what happens, but I won't have time till monday.

I'm almost willing to just leave it since it seems to be working fine with the exception of writing on the fly in EZCD. All is fine in Nero and CDRWin though.

Have I mentioned how much I hate HP?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back