Strange problem...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DarkSiege, Apr 21, 2002.

1. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

For no reason at all, when I press Alt+Ctrl+Del the windows system manager thing doesn't come up. I don't know why that happened...can anyone help?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Is it coming up minimized? Check your tray.

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Also does it come up at all when you right click on the taskbar and select task manager?

4. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

Nothing happens when I click on Task Manager on the taskbar and it doesn't come up at all. (not in system tray)

5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

That's wierd. Open a command window and type in 'sfc /scannow' to see if you have any file corruption going on. My next concern would be along the lines of a trojan or virus covering it's tail... do a system scan and make sure you're clean.

6. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

I ran the scan but what is supposed to happen after the scan? The scan just finished and didn't say anything...
    What free anti-virus software can I use? I think it might be a virus...(hope not...):(

7. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

You dont have a Anti virus program installed??:eek:

8. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

Uhh...I'm kinda poor...

9. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

10. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

I found out that I have a virus!!!:(
    Trying to find a solution now...:(

11. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

I have located the infected files but aren't able to delete them because they are in use. Does anyone know how to stop them from being in use so I can delete them?

12. SessedOut

SessedOut Guest

Dude, go to google.com (I forget the exact URL for this) and search for AVG AntiVirus. It's free and updates are very frequent. I'm not quite sure of a remedy for the problem you are having with ending the program running because you can't get into TaskManager. I had a similar problem yesterday. Somehow a website search program got onto my computer and would pop-up every time I started a program. I looked in msconfig for any start-up files, ran Ad-aware, ran AVG AntiVirus AND Norton AntiVirus, even did some registry searching and I still couldn't isolate the problem. Finally, I just said screw it and formatted...which isn't always a bad thing as long as you backup your files. But I would try AVG first and see if that helps you out. Good luck man, let me know how it turns out.

You can try going into Safe Mode ( F8 ) and deleting the files there, or, if you have a bootdisk, boot into DOS or whatever, then try it that way (I think it would work).

13. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

What's the name of the virus? Be sure to do a quick backup of your most important stuff. Remember when you get your system clean to check those files again to make sure you don't reinfect your machine. Sounds like time for a format to me... If it's an active trojan, it will be impossible to tell what may be on your machine.

14. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

That F***ing virus I got is that new one...Klez worm thing...I'll try deleting the file through safe mode...It's called Winkwjr...

15. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

I think I managed to delete every single one of those cursed infected files...:mad:
    But I still got one problem...how can I make sure the worm is gone?...and, I still can't open the Task Manager...:(

16. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

I managed to remove the worm, but the Task Manager still doesn't work...can someone please help???

17. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

YES!!! I managed to fix Task Manager by re-installing the program (taskmanager). The Help and Support in Windows helped me a great bit! Thx for all your help guys! :)

18. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Ouch! You got a really nasty one there my friend... you need to do some registry editing too. Go to this link and scroll down to the "Manual removal procedure for Windows 2000/XP" section. This looks like a pretty comprehensive removal process:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

If you have anything on your drive that you absolutely can't afford to lose, make a backup of it. Good luck.