strange issue

Don't think I unhooked them but will double check them as well.

I think I ran into a similar problem once because I had the Reset cable hooked to the Power SW header... machine kept rebooting when I tried to shut down.

If your problem is that your pc shuts down then powers up again, it's most likely to be the WOL (Wakeup On LAN) setting.

Well check the everything suggested and still does it. I have not found a setting for WOL and would have thought that pulling CMOS battery would have reset that to what ever the factory setting.

Might see if I can have my tech freind come over and have a look.

Still looking for any ideas

Well check the everything suggested and still does it. I have not found a setting for WOL and would have thought that pulling CMOS battery would have reset that to what ever the factory setting.

Might see if I can have my tech freind come over and have a look.

Still looking for any ideas

Not sure if BIOS would have this setting. Usually it's in Windows Device manager.
Right click on your network adapter>properties>Advanced Tab, then scroll down to the Wake-On-LAN capabilities. Set value to 'None'.

EDIT: device manager can be found in Control Panel>Admin Tools

Will give that a try, though the wording on my system is Wake On Link Settings or Wake on Settings

I had a similar problem, I will try to find out what I did back then.

Maybe start with minimal boot as well. Disconnect everything on the inside that isn't needed for boot - probably just PSU, CPU, Video card, RAM and a hard drive. Might be missing something, it's early :p

But you know what I mean I'm sure - take out all things not needed such as add on cards, cdroms, etc. See how that goes and add parts in piece by piece if it's OK - if not, well then, you can put them all back in.

Have you tried a different physical outlet? Have you tried command line such as "shutdown -s"?

Well the WOL settings I found and changed didn't help. Actually kcnychief already did the least amount of hardware test and the problem was still present and the outlet. I'll give the command line shutdown a try and will report back.

Well that didn't work either. Seems every shutdown method doesn't keep that state, as it starts right back up

Personally this is what i would do.

Unplug from wall
Open Case
Take out cmos battery and disconnect all case plugs from the motherboard (like reset, HD, HD light etc...)
Plug all those cables back
Restart PC without the cmos battery in
then shut the machine down once the windows boots up
Put cmos battery back in again.
(I would also try this, once you've followed the above steps, dont plug in the reset plug, and try booting and restarting.)

Boot up machine and restart, if that does not work, i would say you have a fried circuit somewhere, i doubt this has anything to do with XP.

I would also check to make sure the PSU is on 115v and not 240v, although i'm sure you would have noticed by now.

The other thing you can do is take out the memory and alternate between the different sticks being in the mobo one at a time, just to check them out, test by booting up and restarting.

Alternatively, you could install ubuntu on a small parition and restart that, if that does restart fine, then its clearly and xp isssue, if not then its hardware based.

i thought of that, but wasn't sure if it would be a good test, but you are probably right :)

Hi chastity

Do you have a reset button on the outside of the case?
Some times these stick.

Come the weekend I I'll look into your suggestion lancer. I tried a live CD already and the result was the same. The PSU is set to the right voltage as the system would not boot if it wasn't based on the one time I had that happen to me.

johnkilgo while I'm not going to say your idea doesn't have merit but to my way of thinking if the reset switch on the outside of the case was stuck I would think it would do it at other times then when I go to shut down

Sorry for that I thought about that after I posted it have you tried to
Change the Bios setting by disabling
Power on with PM event.

Would this web site be of interest you might find out that?
Your system has something in common why did you change
The power pack and did your system have the problem before hand
Also what mother board do you have you could try hovering around
The connections in case there is a hair or something causing a short.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Bit of an update. I got boot menu via pressing F8 before Windows loads and for a try I used the power button on the case to shutdown and it did shut down like it should which I find to be odd.

Last edited:
Hey Chastity,

I’m not sure what boto menu is in your last post but are you saying you hit F8 and went into safemode and the power button worked as it should?

What about the shutdown menu’s in safemode…clicking on them will it shutdown correctly from safemode?

Also how many user accounts do you have and is this happening in all of them “not shutting down correctly”

Out of curiosity I would say create a new user account and see if this same problem happens in this new account right from the start.

One last thing for now how old is this motherboard? I wonder if the Cmos battery is dead or weak and the total power loss from changing the power supply, maybe the bios are not saving there setting now because you have to disconnect all power to shutdown every time now?
Maybe put in a new battery and enter the bios just to save the settings and see what happens.

boto menu = cunning code for boot menu! :smoker: (the one where you chose boot device)

Your close mainframeguy, actually its the boot loader where in Windows you can chose last known good, safe mode etc. That is afar as I went with that testing but will give safemode a check later. I only used the power button on the case to shutdown it from that menu

bush dogg, I'll add that idea to the list of things to checkout this weekend. It auto logs me into my account which until you asked I had assumed was the only one but the guest account is enabled but doesn't offer the option to log in using it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back