Strange HD setup! Need fix

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by failurbydesign, Nov 1, 2008.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

Ok so im helping my sister clean up her pc, and i notice she has two hd's, but wait, its one partitioned into 2! So i open C, which is just the windows install, while D is all her programs..IDk why, but how could i merge everything to one partition without loosing any info?

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

partition manager, or one of the acronis products should do what you need

3. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Probably so that when her Windows install is screwed up, she can just re-install and all of her installed programs will still be on the computer and she will not have lost those. I have seen a couple of places do it that way.

4. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

True, but its a crappy built pc, that my step dad thought was a killer deal...makes me sick when i try and help and no one listens...

Besides that, the Acronis failed to work, error of drive unreadable and what not...ill play with it more tomorrow and get back with better info!

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I often split one HDD into 2 partitions ( C: & D: ) so that personal data is not lost when recovering the system partition. It make my life easier as the backup image will be stored on the D: partition and recovery is just a matter of using that image file to restore the C: partition.
    It's not so easy to make backups on DVDs nowadays when over 10GB of disk space is consumed just to make a backup image of Vista.

6. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Sound like you might get away with installing a fresh, new drive, install Windows, then temporarily slave the others and remove the data you need off them.

With prices today of HD's, this would be a great performance boost to boot, as well as a massive storage boost.

Heeter