Strange Features Sites

W

WiredBrain

I've been to sites with interesting features. How do they do these:

1. Files that can only be downloaded by right-clicking and click 'save target as'.
2. Files that will be corrupted if downloaded using a download manager e.g. Go!Zilla.
3. Webpage that has disable the right-click menu.

1. How do they appear if they are just clicked? I would guess they are files that would normally be handles by the browser (jpg, gif, swf).
2. Never seen it. I guess a really evil download script could cause it.
3. Right-clicks are picked up with action triggers to get rid of the menu. This is really lame as it has no function except being reeeaaallly annoying. You can easily view/snatch the code anyway. But you can't right-click and "open in new window" like I very often do.

Not sure on #1.

As for #2, most of the time the website is looking at the user-agent to determine what's trying to get the url for the download. Most (if not all?) programs have a user-agent that tells the website what's accessing it.
Basically, GetRight (or other download program) sends what it is to the website, and the website sees it and if it matches it's dis-allowed list, it breaks the download.
I've not used other download managers, but I know in GetRight you can set the user-agent to what you want, defeating some sites that prevent it.

As for #3, the right-click suppresion can (usually) be defeated by going into your cache and copying the webpage to the desktop 9or anywhere) and then opening that local copy with notepad. This don't always work though.

-Ryandor

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back