StartClock

I love the app but I can't get the balloon tips to work with it.

:sad face:

New Version: 1.13
* revised sizing formula, will adjust size as the time changes
* should work on ANY theme with text styles
* added "About" button in the configuration, you can check what version you are running there
* should be no more time lag issues, it will compensate the time after heavy resource usage
* revised all code

Perris: I don't know about that balloon bug, you'll have to see if it is fixed now.

Homepage
Download

this one is really buggy on my box...it is constantly changing size

it also didn't resolve the balloon tip issue

sorry

I'll do some more testing, but I think there could be a compatibility issue with something running on your system.

Is anyone else having problems?

I don't know if you are considering this to be the bugginess or not but every time explorer.exe refreshes itself the clock has to refresh; it appears as a quick blink.

Explorer will refresh itself when: you adjust the tray location, restarting explorer.exe, or when an item is added in the systemtray; the icons to the bottem right.

It is possible for me to make the clock refresh fast enough to make the blink almost invisible but the program resources will increase. A super fast version is posted below...

**outdated link removed**

Last edited:
The only time mine changes size is when the task bar has movement. Hide/unhide icons.

Two issues:
1) When using the 12-hour clock, the seconds show immediately after the minutes (see screenie)
2) Same issue as perris, also when using the 12-hour clock, it's constantly changing size. It's also happening when I use the 24-hour clock with the date option (doesn't matter if I have seconds on or off)

These two issues don't happen when using the 24-hour clock (the one I prefer luckily :)) I think the changing size is due to the adding of the am/pm and date (like Jan 16 as it is today)

Woops :p Sorry. See attached :eek:

Anyway, I saw this in the code:
Code:
   $med_siz = StringSplit($hour & ":" & $min & $sec & $ampm & $date, "abcdeghknopqrstuvxyz")
   $wide_siz = StringSplit($hour & ":" & $min & $sec & $ampm & $date, "0123456789mwABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ")
(taken from Func ResizBtn())
I ain't no code wizard with these .au3 files (I have no idea what language that is anyway), but shouldn't the lowercase 'mw' in the second line be in the first line? You also seem to be missing some other letters in the first line ;)

edit: Forget it again! see attached again!

Attachments

• sclock wrong.PNG
    sclock wrong.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 91
Two more things:
1) Eventhough I am using the 24-hour clock with no secs and dates, the quick resizing (first bigger, then smaller, happens in a split second.) still happens at around every 30-60 secs.
2) I also find the blank space after the minutes a bit too big, can this be resolved? Merely an irritation, nothing big :)

I'd go back to the one before this...but I really love those balloon tips...I hope you can fiigure this one out

This was one of my first projects and I’ve learned a lot since the original writing. I’m rewriting a good hunk of the code from scratch to try and resolve my early mistakes.

seconds show immediately after the minutes
Bug is verified, fixing.

constantly changing size
I was a bit too zealous with the sizing formula, that is why all the sizing is going on. Fixing.

shouldn't the lowercase 'mw' in the second line be in the first line
No, the letters ‘mw’ should not be in the first line. The $x_siz functions represent the width each character takes up, there are approximately 3 different sizes that every character will fit into properly, give or take a few pixels. ‘m’ and ‘w’ are wider than most of the other lowercase letters therefore don’t fit into the same size category.
Code:
These are all the characters I've defined:

$thin_siz = StringSplit($hour & ":" & $min & $sec & $ampm & $date, "fijl :-")
$med_siz = StringSplit($hour & ":" & $min & $sec & $ampm & $date, "abcdeghknopqrstuvxyz")
$wide_siz = StringSplit($hour & ":" & $min & $sec & $ampm & $date, "0123456789mwABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ")

This is the resizing formula.  It calculates the number of each sized characters, then based on the height of your current start button adjusts it accordingly.
$resize = ($thin_siz[0]-1) * ($Button1_Position[3] * 0.125) + ($med_siz[0]-1) * ($Button1_Position[3] * 0.3125) + ($wide_siz[0]-1) * ($Button1_Position[3] * 0.40625)

This is the line that is actually moving the start buton, $Button1_Position is an array holding information from the start button in it's original state. [0]=x position, [1]=y position, [2]=width, [3]=height
ControlMove("classname=Shell_TrayWnd", "", "Button1", $Button1_Position[0], $Button1_Position[1], ($Button1_Position[2] * 0.58 + $resize), $Button1_Position[3])

blank space after the minutes a bit too big
I’ll see what can be done.

My computer died and I lost the Start Clock. :suprised: When is the next update due?

Does this only work with classic theme and Windows XP theme?

I'm not using the classic theme...I think this is why the ballon tips stop working when I install the clock

too bad, I love this clocks

This startclock does work and I did participate in the early development, but I have to say that for what it is I found it was just a teensy bit too intrusive on the system and I also prefer an analog to a digital time display.... But for those that always have 5% CPU free and would like to remove the clock from the taskbar system tray and have it on the button - this is the thing. Just every once in a blue moon it would seem to malfunction in some way - no doubt down to VB or some other app.

I've been running the clock now for several months & it has never played up on me. Maybe you have a bit of a conflict with something else that is running???

The only time I find it best to close it is when doing some video converting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back