Start menu text

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bmorrissey51, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bmorrissey51

bmorrissey51 Guest

Ok, I want to simply change my start menu text to read Metallica...how would I go about doing this?

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

You have to download REsource Hacker and hack the explorer.exe file

The Start text is under the String Table, 37

3. bmorrissey51

bmorrissey51 Guest

How do I find this resource hacker? And when I do, is it pretty easy to operate it?

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Try over here. Fairly easy once you know where to look.

5. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

if i remember it correctly there was a tutorial on the forums back when we were xperience.org Maybe its still around somewhere

6. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

Yeah, Waddy got the idea from here: Hack the Start Button: Overclockersclub.com

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

There is also a long thread (sticky) up there ^^.

Actually it is a matter of a few minutes to make the change.

Open Explorer.exe in ResourceHacker, edit stringtables 37 (for xp-look) and 38 (for classic look), hit compile script, save as Explorer1.exe to the Windows directory.
    Change the registry value for Shell to Explorer1.exe at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon
    reboot.

That's all.

8. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

Or alternately:-
    Open Explorer.exe in ResourceHacker, edit stringtables 37 (for xp-look) and 38 (for classic look), save the altered Explorer.exe as Explorer1.exe. End the Explorer.exe process in Task Manager, click the "Applications" tab, click "New Task", search for Explorer.exe and rename it to Explorer2.exe, rename Explorer1.exe to Explorer.exe and run this new Explorer.exe as a New Task.

Marginally quicker than a re-boot I think, but then my re-boots take a lifetime :D

Edit: Sorry this only works if you have removed/renamed the backup copy of Explorer.exe :(