star trek cancelled

Electronic Punk said:
just cos upn drop it, does that mean no-one else can pick it up?

When UPN drops a show... it's dead. :dead:

What they needed was more nekkid Vulcan. :D

lancer said:
I loved this show, i'm not even into Star trek, but this was the best off them, i loved to see how it all began, god damn people, who knows maybe another channel will pick it up. Anyone remember Star Gate the series on upn, the fools, they sold it to sci fi channel cos it didn't do so well on upn, now its one of the biggest watched series of all time.

didnt Stargate start on Showtime? I really liked Enterprise. last season sucked, but it was getting so much better this season.

i actually still play the old star trek 25th anniversary game sometimes:
http://www.methodshop.net/tech/articles/StarTrek25th

manual-StarTrek25th.jpg

gonaads said:
When UPN drops a show... it's dead. :dead:

That depends on the contracts, and whether they're just a network who's distributing the show, or they're actually producing the show...

Case in point: Babylon 5 was produced by Warner Bros. and in syndication for the first 3 seasons. Question of it's future came up, as syndication wasn't going to continue, and nothing was certain if there'd even be a 4th season.

TNT was petitioned to pick up the show, and they did. Not only for the 4th season but the 5th as well. JMS, the creator of Babylon 5 always intended "Sleeping in the Light" to be the last ep. In this case, if season 5 wasn't allowed, "Sleeping in the Light" would have been the season 4 finale, and the actual season 4 finale would never have been created. Not sure what they would have done if they didn't get a season 4, as by end of season 3, they hadn't even had the final battle with the Shadows and Vorlons and too much story would probably have been missing for the series finale to have made sense...

After season 5, and a few "for TV movies"...TNT decided to drop the series, (though the final season was complete) and Sci-Fi channel picked it up. They releaased a couple more movies (such as "A Call to Arms") and the spin-off series Crusade, which died after season 1.

Stargate SG-1 (don't remember if that was mentioned in this forum or another, concerning this) actually wasn't just showing on FOX and the like before Sci-Fi picked it up. Showtime Beyond (on my digital cable) also had the show, and in fact at least a season ahead of FOX. Showtime doesn't show Stargate SG-1 anymore, but this didn't preclude Sci-Fi from getting liscensing rights to continue the show, and actually make Stargate: Atlantis as well...

methodshop said:
didnt Stargate start on Showtime? I really liked Enterprise. last season sucked, but it was getting so much better this season.

Yeah, I think so. I remember watching eps SG-1 on Showtime (after I moved in my appt and got digital cable back in 2001) which I hadn't to that point seen on the networks (FOX here). FOX showed the given eps I was seeing on Showtime: Beyond about 6 months to a year latter...

Son Goku said:
After season 5, and a few "for TV movies"...TNT decided to drop the series, (though the final season was complete) and Sci-Fi channel picked it up. They releaased a couple more movies (such as "A Call to Arms") and the spin-off series Crusade, which died after season 1.

Crusades can't even be called a series. It was initially meant to be a full-blown series but it got castrated and ended up only as a mini-series.

rotjong

rotjong said:
Crusades can't even be called a series. It was initially meant to be a full-blown series but it got castrated and ended up only as a mini-series.

rotjong

It was made as a series, that had 13 eps for the first season. It never got renewed...and arguably Sci-Fi did mess up on that one... There's more to it though, as I gather Sci-Fi had it's ideas, and JMS (I've seen some of his posts/articles/whatever you'd call them) concerning this made it clear from the start he doesn't like to get re-written. I think he indicated some changes in Crusade were already made that wasn't to his liking...and he was one to have already said he made himself director of B5 so no one could re-write him.

Course in B5, it was such a tight arc show, with things being shown way in advance that are almost prophetic to the end (aka Babylon 4 showing up back in time, in season one, mention of The One, Londo's bad dreams and preminitions of his demise, etc), that being re-written could mess up the show/disrupt the flow of the story arc in ways one might not know, unless they know the end JMS had in mind from the start. Reportedly JMS conceived and wrote up the story for the final ep "Sleeping in the Light" before the rest of the show was created around that end...

But he also indicated that he would have pretty much said all he wanted in TV... I gather there was a falling out with Sci-Fi and JMS...and things ended somewhat badly between them.

I wouldn't call it a mini-series though, but rather an actual series that got cancelled first season. Mini-series would be more like some of Sci-Fi's minis of which the new BSG was one (last year) before it was decided to go with a series or not. OK, "Taken" could be perhaps argued, though I have seen shows (especially among the Anime) that don't really last more then a couple dozen eps or so.

"Fist of the North Star" would be one, though in Japan they've created a New Fist of the North Star. Neo Genesis Evangellion would be another, Peace Maker, and there are several others that never really turned into long shows... Some things like "Shadow Raiders" were intended for 5 seasons or so. The first season of 13 eps showed in the US, the second season (another 13 eps) only showed in Canada I gather, though the whole thing is on DVD now.

But on the last ep, it's obvious that it was meant to continue, ends rather abruptly in a hell of a cliff hanger, but no continuation was ever made. It happens.

I hope it makes a difference, will be interesting to see paramounts reaction to this.

I heard all the Trekkies clubbed together to make a show.

Maybe they should get over it, things come to an end, I liked Star Trek in the 70's even had a big starship enterprise, it shot little discs out, bit sad, people grow old and can't act no-more.

Lee said:
I heard all the Trekkies clubbed together to make a show.

Maybe they should get over it, things come to an end, I liked Star Trek in the 70's even had a big starship enterprise, it shot little discs out, bit sad, people grow old and can't act no-more.

"get over it"!!!! are you on crack!!! That is it, where is my disrupter gun..........

gonaads said:
How vulcan, errrrr, I mean vulgar, :lick:
I'd say, wait a decade and then start a new series - they're showing all 5 series on TV if they get the chance, it's a bit of an overdose :yowch: :squareeye :yowch:

Let's face it, 7 years of TNG, 7 years of DS9, 7 years of Voyager, and already some years of Enterprise - Heck, it's bound to end sometime...

but in, let's say, 10, 15 years, new technologies will make it possible to put up a totally new Star Trek series, even further in the future than Voyager... heck, plenty quadrants to visit yet :laugh:

As for the last few series... it's always kind of fun to see the 1st episodes after following the series... the contrast in make-up and character is dramatic, and clearly shows how the series developed through the years :)

Anyways, I loved these series, eventhough they made some very obvious mistakes sometimes... :yowch: :crosseyed: :rolleyes:

well the fact that Troy and Riker are in the finale, should give everyone a big hint.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back