standby & network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Taurus, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i use standby a lot. is there a way to have my computer repair it's network connection and acquire a new ip address each time i wake it up? instead of using it's old one?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

bump

3. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

There should be a command to release the lease on your ip address and get a new one. You can add this to your scheduled tasks. I just would not know the exact command. I think it is "net". Try "net /?" from a commandbox (without the quotes ofcourse)

4. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

If using DHCP the IP address will most likely not change even if you release/renew. The reason is most ISP's assign IP by the MAC address of your network card or router.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If there is a router involved it should have an option to set how long it leases an IP address for. Note this may disrupt 2p2 or big file downloads.

If straight connection to the modem then you can use
    ipconfig /release /all
    followed by
    ipconfig /renew
    use scheduled tasks as hans suggested to automate the process.

There is no guarantee any approach will produce a new ip address. That depends on the algorithms used by your ISP to assign ip's. I used to find that I had to be disconnected for hours before I actually got a new ip adress.

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

That is the LAN IP's the router assigns to whatever is connected to it not the WAN he would get from his ISP.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, we're all connected to a router.

issue is i will put my comp in standby and my roommate will later turn on the PS3 and start playing online. then i come home and wake the comp up and then there's an ip address conflict and he gets kicked offline.

i ended up just asigning the PS3 it's own ip address.

8. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

that's the easiest way and the best way!

9. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Alternatively most routers give you the ability to program DHCP reservations. This would be based on the MAC address of each device. If you were to give a PC a static IP assigned through Windows, if you format it's gone. If you format and the NIC is the same, still there :)

Also, please don't bump your own thread.

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

thanks, i didn't notice the static DHCP setion in my router. and thanks for the other ideas, guys.

and sorry for bumping. was i suppose to make a new thread with the same question?

11. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

It's not a huge deal really, but no to the seperate thread. Just waiting for someone to reply works, although sometimes it's a long wait :)