SpyBot-Search & Destroy Tools 1.5 Beta (Vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tdinc, Dec 6, 2006.

1. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Download beta versions of above tools here

2. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Why would you need this on Vista when it already has Windows Defender?

3. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Because Windows defender has amongst the worst detection rates of any spyware/maleware detection programmes. Maybe it will improve over time but would you by a product from a manufacturer that was designed to plug holes in their own software. Seems a bit strange to me as it would have been better to design the operating system properly in the first place, then there would not be any need for Windows defender or other similar products. The fact that there exists a Windows Defender version for Vista worries me.
    :suprised:

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Can you substantiate this claim? I’ve read nothing but rave reviews about Windows Defender.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Multiple layers of defense can be more effective compared to a single solution, because one product could detect something that the others might have missed. I'm not saying that one should install every anti-malware product out there (and you should avoid running multiple realtime scanners simultaneously), but running one realtime scanner and having another product or two installed for periodic scans is not a bad idea.

Do you also think cars should be sold without seat-belts because they should be "inherently" safe? :)

There are multiple approaches to building a secure system. Being proactive is obviously important, and Microsoft has made big strides in this regard with Vista, compared to XP and earlier versions of Windows. But having a backup plan in case an exploit is discovered down the line is a good practice.

You can't simply assume that any large piece of software, especially something as complex as an operating system, is inherently secure. Anti-malware products (like AVs and rootkit detection tools) are available even for UNIX-based systems like Linux and Mac OS X.

If malware that exploits a certain newly-discovered vulnerability is unleashed on the web, a Defender signature update can be pushed out via Automatic Updates quickly and easily to every Vista machine in the world in a short span of time until a patch for the vulnerability is created, tested, and released, which would greatly mitigate the amount of damage caused.

6. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

2 cents on this topic is.. There is no perfect anti-spyware out there. Windows defender is a Solid Application. Before Microsoft bought out Giant which created the original software in which the scanning engine was the same as Sunbelts "Anti-spy" it had very good detection. Defender still needs some work to make it better but i see good thing from it. In this day and age Running a hand full of Good Anti-spyware is a must. I Always liked SpyBot-Search & Destroy it always has good detection rates and the product is always getting better. So to see a Vista integration is a good thing.

7. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Really bad example. Computers don't carry people and travel at high rates of speed. Unless they are flying out a window. :speechless: