Spare HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Teddy, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Now that im over the problems I was having with a messed up HD ( I have luckily managed to save the important stuff!) I now find myself with a formatted 30GB drive.

My question is what would be the best thing to use it for? Partition it? New OS (multiboot)? Something else?

Your ideas would be much appreciated!

:D

2. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

music and films i reckon (altho no doubt someone will say thats condoning piracy :rolleyes: )

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Home movies and spare time composed music of course. ;)

I'd leave the drive as one partition and use it for storage since I take it it's a secondary disk.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it's 100% legal to own mp3's of songs/albums you bought, correct?

most of my... erhm... all of my collection of mp3's was ripped from cd's i bought. :eek:

5. chris

chris Free to Fly

I'd say go for the file storage. keeping the important files on a seperate HDD to the o/s can be better as any problems with the o/s wont affect the files you want to keep.

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

FreeBSD all the way.

7. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Yep, I do the same. Its so much easier than looking for the cd which has got the one song you want to listen to on.
    It's not like you are ripping off the records companies as you have bought the cd and I believe you are allowed to make a backup as long as both are not in use at any one time.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ditto.
    Stuff that you don't want to lose if Windows decides to screw up anytime. Just format the primary drive and start over without having to worry about critical documents, music, downloads etc.

Well...you could dual-boot with linux/BSD if you're interested.

9. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Thanks for all the replies...im gonna use it to store my most important files (music, docs etc).

One other question first though - whats the best way to format it? In My Computer you can right click > format and then chose either FAT32 or NTFS. Is this the best/simplist way or should i do it through DOS or another program (eg PartitionMagic)?

Thanks again!

10. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yes this is by far the simplest way. And it's good. So just format it to NTFS.

11. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Zedric - done! Thanks! Was simple as pie.