Sounds like sound problems.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ShepsCrook, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Ok, this recent upgrade to my computer has rendered a lot of problems. The Hard drive situation is taken care of... Not the way I wanted but I'm settling for now. But after installing my Sound card Driver, I'm only hearing sound out of 4 of my 5 speakers. Left Rear, Front, Center all sound nice, the front Right is somewhat weak, and the Right Rear has nothing. Any ideas?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, I've changed it from the defauly windows setting of 2.1 sound to 5.1 sound... Let me know.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Did you run diagnostics on the sound card, or use the control panel for the card itself rather than Windows?

They normally have tests that put out sound from each speaker to confirm configuration. Do you hear any hissing of any type when audio is played?

Not totally out of the question the speaker may have died as well.

3. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

It's an X-fi Platinum sound card. I've installed the official drivers, not the beta release, and I've checked in the Creative Console for anything for testing, but nothing is there, I'll be looking at creatives site for possible other console software to check things out.

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Try this:

make sure the plugs are all the way in, I noticed the plugs on my X-Fi are stiff and they need a little more force to plug in completely.

5. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Hey, on the back of your card, which outputs are which? 1, 2, and 3? Since it might be I misplugged one of these....

6. Admiral Michael

1 is front, 2 is rear and 3 is center/sub

I've attached a help file I found on the X-Fi, it explains how to connect the speakers, as well as a bunch of other things.

Attached Files:

ShepsCrook likes this.
  7. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I believe I had the cables mixed up. I think it's sounding the way it should. Music seemed to sound fine. I'll have to test a game here in a few...

8. Admiral Michael

There is a speaker test that will go through each speaker and say "Front Left, Front Right", etc. If you have the fancy control panel its Under Main Display>First Icon Click Channel or click an individual speaker.

9. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

What fancy control panel?

10. Admiral Michael

11. Admiral Michael

Well? Any luck?