Sound Trouble

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mechanic, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Guest

I am having a sound problem which I have tried my best to solve, I have spent a week and several reinstalls attempting to fix this problem so I have come here as a last hope.

The problem occurs in both windows and applications / games. I experience sound pops, cracks or static when my system plays a "rough or raw" sound as I would describe it, such as a tank / car engine or a large explosion. This is just a sound issue, as in it does not cause lag or crashes just annoying sound.

Here is what I have done so far:

FRESH REINSTALL
    PCI Sound Card - Creative Live! Value
    Installed Latest Drivers

Result : Sound Popping and cracking in games.

I tried the windows drivers for the card and the ones on the Internet, I also downloaded Intel Application Accelerator and my chipset drivers. I tried installing Direct X 8.1 for XP which is found on the cover CD on the official Windows XP mag. I experimented with sound acceleration in DXDIAG. All these proved to not help the problem in the slightest.

I then removed the Creative Live Value card and tried it in a system using Windows ME this system also experianced sound issues with the card which indicates the card could be faulty. To further test this I put the card which was in the ME system, a PCI Creative Vibra 128, into the XP system. I know this is not a great card but the ME system had no troubles with this card.

Result : Still having sound problems at the same situations but now I get static instead of popping and cracking.

So I have tried two different cards and I still get sound issues when playing a rough / raw sound the only change in swapping cards was the type of distortion noise. I have also tried another set of speakers and the problem was identical. I also tried the card in another PCI slot. This card used to work fine with no problems until one day I suddenly noticed sound errors.

Question: Have I got two bad sound cards, Is it a windows XP issue / setting OR do I have some kind of motherboard / PCI bus Problem.

Extra Information:
    Dell Dimension 8200
    Dell Motherboard with 850 chipset (NO Onboard Sound)
    P4 2.0Ghz
    512 RDRAM
    GeForce 4 Ti4600
    Windows XP Home

2. Mechanic

Mechanic Guest

Any ideas people?

Apart from buying a new sound card, I'd rather get the old one working correctly again, I don't know what to do.

3. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

did you check Sound and Audio Devices in the control panel?
    when you mute the sound through a 3d party program like real player..there will be no sound till you set it on in the same program.
    your sound card is ok.wish you best luck.

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Guest

I don't quite know what you mean but also I don't have any third party programs, just a fresh windows install, my sound drivers and updates for other devices and windows.

So, this can't be anything like a third party program interfering, I don't know what you mean about muting, I am hearing sound its just not as it should be.

5. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

so go to control panel dude then click on Sound and Audio Devices. Increase the device volume.and don't forget the speakers volume,too.

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Guest

I am not having a volume problem, my sound is clicking and popping. Nothing to do with volume. I need to know if this is a windows problem, sound card problem or motherboard problem.

7. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

just go there and see your settings
    did you use the same speakers on windows me?