Sound card and XP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lunaticmaster, Nov 27, 2002.

1. I just reformatted my computer, and got everything set up, except the sound
    card. Whenever I try to install it, it locks up. and then it locks on boot,
    unless I go into safe mode and remove the drivers. I cannot figure out what
    is going on!!!

the soundcard is a ALS4000 and it seems to be locking up on ALS4000.SYS

It worked before I formatted, but I can't get it to work now. Any help would
    be appreciated.

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

try removing any and all drivers and software intended for the card. restart. let windows install it's own default drivers or if it asks you to insert a driver cd, just hit cancel.

download the drivers from realtek's site. should work.

3. I have the newest drivers from the site, but it still locks. I thought it might be a conflict, and I thought that I had the problem fixed, but then it crashed....

4. Majin

Majin DBZ - Yes its in me!

i had a similar problem with xp and the audigy updated drivers as xp dosnt have any drivers for the audigy id install the drivers from the audigy cd fine but the updated drivers from the site would without fail lock the system failure to load some dll

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

you could try moving it to another slot...? my audigy didn't like one slot... so i moved it to another and it works fine now.

6. Majin

Majin DBZ - Yes its in me!

well it works fine as long as i dont update the drivers otherwise it does just like what he said his card does locks the drivers causing a bsod

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

majin... you probably had to go into safe mode to remove your old audigy drivers... then boot normally and install the updated drivers. works for me.