Sony's Answer to iPod...

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by melon, Jul 1, 2004.

1. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/01/technology/sony_apple.reut/index.htm

I'll give you blurbs on the article, but if you want to read the whole thing, click the link above.

So $400 for 20 GB, and I can spend $99 more and get a $40 GB iPod? Where the real savings? :rolleyes:

Well, there's the savings, but in the next 12-18 months, who knows what Apple could create in response. Of course, loyal Apple fanatics don't seem to mind paying too much for an iPod either.

But this is where it will fail:

Goodbye, Sony. Why did you even waste your money on developing this product? Didn't you learn a damn thing from BetaMAX? I'll give you a hint, if you've forgotten over the past 30 years: proprietary formats fail, when a wider format is readily available. Why do you think that VHS kicked your ass all those years ago? The only reason your proprietary DVCAM format hasn't similarly died is because your only competitor in the large DV formats is the equally proprietary DVCPRO format, and their video editing decks are more than twice the price of yours. So, yeah, you can get away with being proprietary in the professional realm, but I'd have thought you'd have learned your lesson by now in the consumer realm!

Comments? :p

Melon

the_music_man likes this.
  2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

The whole "We dont play mp3" thing amuses me to no end, a friend of mine once purchased a sony "mp3" player only to find it did not actually play mp3's. It was returned to the store soon as possible :p

3. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

That's why I hate their MD Players too, you need to convert the damn mp3s! And I'm not surprised it was so outrageously priced.

4. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

i usuallly support sony on everything but im givin it a thumbs down on this one . lol

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Heh, never even heard of ATRAC. They could at least have added support for other popular formats if not for mp3.

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Looks like they think it's still 1994 and the public will love anything they make.

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

ATRAC is just another compression format. It's never really been tested for quality because Sony is the only major company that has liscensed it (there is another small company somewhere that uses it). ATRAC (3, plus, etc) has major drawbacks, mostly that there are only a few different quality settings, and you have to use Sony's SonicStage software to transcode. And we all know that transcoding is bad, bad, bad. Transcoding IST Death.

8. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Usless, for the same price you can get multi codec players with the same HD size.

9. ~bk

~bk I Political User

Meh... iPod is the best. :D

10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Depends on who you ask Bilal :)

11. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

My iRiver player suits me well :D If iPods where a little less expensive I'd say they are the best too.