Songbird 0.1 Web player

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tdinc, Feb 9, 2006.

1. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

released yesterday...Songbird is a Web player built from Firefox's browser engine. Songbird is open source, will run on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and supports user contributed, cross-platform extensions.

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

My 2 cents:

I was excited when this project was first announced a few months ago. it has similar look to itunes. when you load the program it feels a bit clunky, the response time seems off when trying to sort though the options. the pre-loaded bookmarks can't be deleted ( I have not found a way, yet) possible option in a future release. because this is a "Concept release" I was expecting bugs. extension plug-ins (ala, firefox) will be sure to become available as the project matures. all in all a worthy effort...

2.5/5 stars

2. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Hmm this seems pretty cool. Once it gets rolling Im sure it will garner attention and good support.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

point it at an apache directory listing of mp3's or other compatible audio files :)

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I wasn't really impressed in any way either. It's too early to form opinions right now anyway.
    All I can say is, it's going to take a long time before this can catch up and become as polished and mature as something like iTunes or WMP.

5. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

Well, it looks like it could just be another Real Player ("clunky"), but I like it. It does run hideously here even with the 1GB of Dual Channel RAM so the slowness of it can safely be put down to the coding which hopefully can be worked out.

Looks nice though, it plays the streams seamlessly which is the most important factor of course. 3/5 for me for now.

(p.s. this was on win32, might try it on OSX which also has 1GB of RAM just for comparison)

6. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

I like the looks of it but I gave up and uninstalled it. It choked on my music collection when I tried to load everything. I'll check it out once it's gotten further along in development.

rotjong

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Played around with it the other day.

rotjong: I made it load up all my music and I have around 10GB of it...didn't have any problems. I guess you got unlucky.

8. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

I was trying to load my HD that I turned into a jukebox. I got tired of messing around with my CDs and my CD player so I ripped them to my HD.

My collection is 17,753 MP3s @ 96.9 GB. Now, of course, this is a fairly large amount of files but I've never had problems with foobar2000, WinAmp, iTunes or pretty much any other program I've used. But, then again this program is still very new and needs more development.

I think I'm going to install it again and point it to a really small portion of my MP3s to check it out more.

Update:

In terms of aesthetics I have issues with resizing the GUI. If I maximize the program it takes my entire screen and I even lose the taskbar. If I want to make it smaller it doesn't actually fit in the available space and I have to mess around to make the GUI fit in the available desktop space. I have a 2 double height taskbar with StatBar above that with the resolution at 1024 x 768.

rotjong

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Ah, that makes much more sense. Damn, and I thought I had a lot of music :p

10. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

LOL. Well, the speakers are better on my computer than my stereo and I actually saved space by getting rid of the standalone CD player and stereo. Now I just use my computer. No more switching CDs and random play can be quite interesting :crosseyed:

rotjong