software to stop spam

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Chase™, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Chase™

Chase™ NTFS Noob

i was using mcafee spam killer until the subscription ran out and they want me to pay $30.00 to update :eek: i believe that was the price, but anyways looking for free software that will do the job..what do u people recommend?

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I don't really use it but doesn't thunderbird have built in spam protection?

-edit- I was right :D ... love when that happens. :p

3. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Here is a free program still in Alpha stage based on a good *nix program spamassassin.

5. ~bk

~bk I Political User

What about MailWasher?

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

My first recommendation would be to use Thunderbird (free, open-source) or Outlook 2003 as your mail client. Both of them include built-in Bayesian spam filters that intelligently learn to classify mail as spam as you receive them.

If you don't want to switch from your current mail client, take a look at POPfile. Again, this uses Bayesian classification, which has proven to be one of the best spam filtering techniques in existence today.
    http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

mailwasher isnt free now i believe cuz like a year ago it said on their site download it quickly before it becomes shareware, dont remmber though

8. Chase™

Chase™ NTFS Noob

Well thanx to all of you for your reply's and at the moment i am using spam inspector if i don't like it i will try netryder's suggestion..

9. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Mailwasher pro or their free version. I went from around 2,000 spams to 0-15 per day after using it.