Socket 939 Mobo Decision...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dan04, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting the Asus A8V Deluxe socket 939 Motherboard for Athlon 64. Is this a good motherboard? if not what would anyone reccommend thanks!!!

2. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

I was thinking of going for that too, but i'm torn between the Asus and MSI's upcoming Neo 2 Platinum. I don't plan on using the additional wifi, so it'll just bump up the costs....but then again, some early reviews for the MSI board aren't too hot :confused:

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

939 is the mobo thats supports ddr dual channel ram right?

4. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

Yep, in comparison to the 754 boards

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I would suggest waiting for the rev 2's of the current k8t800pro boards or going with the MSI nf3-250 board

for the others... yes sckt 939 is dual channel... only 2 types of processors @ the moment.. newcastle based a64's or fx processors...

6. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

has asus released a revision 2 motherboard? if so they dont say anything on their site....or do they

7. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

what was the trouble with its AGP/PCI lock?? alot of review sites state this, what does it mean exactly and is their any faults with the asus a8v deluxe motherboard?

8. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

check Asus' website if you haven't already, they tend to hold very good information :)

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the nf3-250's and the k8t800pro chipsets are supposed to have locked agp/pci slots..

some of the board makers apparently have issues regarding this and have implemented floating locks which are a little looser than actual locks...

afaik the agp/pci locks do work with the asus board... on another site i frequent someone is using one in conjunction with his fx-53 and it works well... his only problem was incorrect temp read-out but a future bios release fixed that for him...

reason I suggested rev 2 (or whatever their revision convention is) was to allow for any tweaks to fix problems to be made...

10. tommy

tommy OSNN Member

I have no problems with my a8v deluxe mobo

11. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

ok kool ill think ill get one then thanks heaps!!!