So what Intel CPU's will Apple be using?

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by NetRyder, Jun 7, 2005.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Not surprised if they take something like a Intel P4 650 and rename to the ABC123. lol :p

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

hehe

the first reason;

[snipppet]

Why not AMD? Much of Apple's success is due to marketing and branding, not necessarily technological leadership. That should sound a lot like Intel these days, whose processors essentially lag behind AMD in terms of technology, but outsell AMD by huge margins, thanks to strong marketing and branding. The Intel brand is much stronger than AMD's, and that is the sort of partner that Apple is interested in.

[/snippet]

in other words, they are looking for hype over performance.

this is opposite my impression of what this company stands for

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Here's a good (and amusing) FAQ that I found here. It's mostly speculation, but still interesting.

5. muzikool

Apple is a marketing machine. I don't think that can be denied.

I bet Apple knows something about Intel's roadmap that the public doesn't. ;)

Great point.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  6. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Looks like a bunch of stupid questions to me :dead:

7. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I'm no programmer and make no claim on understanding x86 architecture, but would it be that much harder to make OSX run on both AMD and Intel? Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they only made their OS run on Intel processors, at least as it appears to me.

Like Muzikool said though, maybe Intel has something on their roadmap we don't know about yet.

8. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

*resists comment*

I love all this speculation and guessing. It's great, it only fuels the hype machine Apple have done so well in creating.

Personally, I'm happy with the Intel move, I'm happy with my current mac, I'll be happy with my next one, and I really don't care about the Intel based macs until I have one in front of me, or at the very least their are some cold hard facts available (ie: units shipping, the dev machines mean **** at the moment).

9. SPeedY_B

They're not making it run on off-the-shelf Intel chips, you wont be able to home-brew a machine and just install OS X on it. Apple is a hardware retailer, they're not going to lose revenue by essentially killing their hardware off.

As muzikool's above post mentions though, it's likely someone will hack things up and get OS X running on a Dell, or something equivalent, but only slashdotters and forum junkies will really care.

You need to remember that a CPU isn't the only component in a computer, other components can prevent things from running and create a lock-down.

10. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

I ment as in the stupid question that were pretty pointless to add. A cheap way to add humor to it all. I like the idea of the whole Intel move but i would of rather it be AMD but like mention they are going for marketing push and what not.

11. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

thanks for pulling all that out of the articles muzikool and paris

12. muzikool

I did the same. :laugh:

Looks like we've got about the same point of view. Have you thought at all about how this affects your future purchase of a G5, since you were waiting for the dual 3GHz?

13. SPeedY_B

Well we're never going to see them, or if we do they will be the last of the PowerPC's... in my mind anyway.

I'm thinking of waiting for a second revision of the Intel-Based PowerMacs (whatever they'll be called [​IMG]) just so I can get an idea of how the Intel machines will work first.

Like many, as powerful as they are, I don't see the point in buying a G5 based Mac, I know they will be supported etc, I'd just rather have an Intel machine at this point in time.

14. muzikool

Probably the best idea and what I would try to do, but I wasn't sure how patient you could be. ;)

15. SPeedY_B

I waited long enough to get my PowerMac, and I've upgraded it enough to last me a couple more years. I may update the iBook to a nice PowerBook in a year or two to tide me over, but the PowerMac has a lot more life left in it yet :)

16. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

with all that storage i should hope so Dave :eek:

17. muzikool

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ has posted information on the Mac X86/Pentium 4 Development system.

A tidbit...

18. SPeedY_B

Storage, Memory, Connectivity, Optical Writers, Video Card, USB2.0, BlueTooth, iSight... and probably more :p

Very interesting, I really think that these Intel chips are going to give Macs a well deserved kick up the arse with relation to speed, and I really think that Apple know something about Intel's roadmap that the public do not, as of yet. Intel may of used it as bait for the deal.

Either way, it's all good, I can't wait for the forthcoming PowerPC lines, and the Intel lines. It's all fun :)

19. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Naaaa, they'll name it the "grannysmith" or the "golden delicious"... Or fuji (for them high temp ones). :p

20. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

As for the AMD question, i don't think AMD has to worry. Their low power chips are being used in a lot of Apple products:

Wireless base station
    Airport cards

And probably more that have not been taken apart yet.