smtp server

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by cpugeniusmv, Apr 14, 2003.

1. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

Ok, here's what I would like to do:

I have a program called MrPostman which acts as a pop3 server for my webmail accounts, however...i am unable to send mail with this setup.

I assume I need a local smtp server to send mail directly, I noticed that there is one available with IIS (which i have) but i don't know how to configure it. If anyone could help me along either the IIS route or with another program, I would be greatly appreciative.

cpugeniusmv

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You can use your ISP's SMTP server to send mail. You don't need to have IIS installed. :)

3. cpugeniusmv

that's actually the first thing i tried! and guess what!

it didn't work ;-)

EDIT:

well, i decided to try that again just to make sure my computer wasn't playing tricks on me, and it does connect to the server, and appears to send the mail...but i sent a message to myself and i haven't yet received it. :confused:

4. cpugeniusmv

well, i guess there is a little delay...i have now received 2 of the four test messages i sent...i guess i'll get the others eventually.

thanks!

EDIT:

got 'em all! :happy: :happy: :happy:

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Can't beat having your own SMTP :) and there is a delay, because the data leaves your computer, goes through your isp servers, then works out where its going from there.

Something I will advise that you do, is to only allow connections to the server from 127.0.0.1 and possibly change the port (25 by default) that it operates on, this should help stop people abusing the server.

6. cpugeniusmv

Yeah, if i were setting up my own smtp, it would have to be on a port other than 25 anyway, my proxy smtp server is set up on 25 and it only accepts connections from the local network. i tried setting up iis smtp on port 26, and it connected to the server, but couldn't figure out (which i'm usually pretty good at) how to configure it to do what i wanted it to do.

any help on doing that would be appreciated :happy:

but for now, i'm content with my isp's smtp server :blink:

7. SPeedY_B

If i remember right (this is from memory, i rarely do this, so bear with me :p)
    Once installed IIS' settings are located in Control panel > administritive tools
    pop that open, then stop the web server (unless you want that running) Right click on the SMTP server in the tree on the left, then click properties.
    Now this is the part im not 100% about .. somewhere there are relat and authentication options, this is where you can enable relay (the ability to send mail from any address) and disallow connections from the outside.

If thats not much help, i'll install my server again later so i can give more detail .. :)

8. cpugeniusmv

yeah, i already knew all the stuff you said....except the part you aren't 100% sure of LOL...

but i'll look at it later and tell you how it comes out :blink:

9. cpugeniusmv

/me decided he's probably better off just using his isp's smtp server:happy:

10. SPeedY_B

Good call. [​IMG]