Smoothwall questions

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by canadian_divx, Sep 15, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

ok i am in the process of making a smoothwall pc and i would lik to know, i have linksys Bf series of routers (2 of them in series) they have there so called firewall, how can i disable this firewall so it does not conflict? also does anyone here know a really dumbed down guid to install and setup smooth wall becase i have herd that it is mind boggeling.

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Smoothwall is a piece of cake, it really is.

All managed via a web interface. Once its installed (which is also very easy) all you need to do access the web panel and off you go.

You dont need to disable the firewall on the router if you dont want to. The BFxxxx routers only run NAT so you can keep it enabled, its a extra layer of protection if you like.

However since you may want to disable it (once your happy with the smoothwall setup) access the routers web panel and on the advanced tab disable Block WAN Request.

3. canadian_divx

ok cool thanks man. now one other thing. do u use smoothwall and if so what one should i use 1.0 or 2.0?

4. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

I don't use it currently, but have done.

I would go with 2.0 Beta 5 but you will need to update as new builds come out.

If you want to install something, set it up and forget about it then get 1.0.

Whichever you go for make sure you apply the patches.

5. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I thought a smoothwall was a router, and would therefore replace the BEFSR41 device. Or is the smoothwall for a different internet line or site?

JJB

6. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

You would switch the BEFSR41 from Gateway mode into router mode then setup smoothwall as the gateway router. The BEFSR41 will then function happily as a switch.

7. canadian_divx

ok i finally got the box set up i think but i NEED HELP!!!! can someone who knows about smooth wall help me?????

8. JJB6486

Whats the problem?

9. canadian_divx

cant access it over https?

10. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Smoothwall does not use port 443 for HTTPS it uses 445 so you need to open it as so:

https://smoothwallbox:445

11. JJB6486

or replace the box name with the IP Address. Also make sure that the LAN and WAN cables are plugged into the correct cards. When i was trying Smoothwall i used two of the same kind of NICs and didnt know which one was which until i tried both.

JJB

12. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Obviously it makes no difference whether you use the IP address or the hostname providing the correct port is specified :)