Slow boot time

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by indyjones, Apr 17, 2003.

1. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Hi I was wondering if you can help me decrease my boot time as it currently takes ages.
    Firstly i have used bootvis my sisters pc (both are XP PRO SP1) boots like a dream
    But on my painfully more expensive system bootvis spazzes out saying "one or more services did not start" its a pain. Does any one know how to get my boot time down ? Thanks :)

2. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Do a google search for “BootVis-Tool.exe”. This will sort out the problem. Latest version
    :)

3. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

I'd tried a bunch of stuff but turning this feature off really sped up my shutdown sequence. For pretty obvious reasons!!

Bootvis is the best bet for finding boot up sequence problems.

Code:
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  
    Key: SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SessionManager/Memory Management  
    Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown  
    Type: REG_DWORD  Value: 0

4. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

Here's a little trick that I was reminded of. Kill the .pf files under C:\Windows\Prefetch. I think bootvis does this automatically, but I'm not sure.

5. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Hmm... then why did MS go to the trouble to create BootVis? And why did BootVis shave 6 seconds off my boot time?

Although I personally don't like the defragger, Diskeeper's boot defrag does seem to help. You can download the trial version and give it a shot.

6. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

WARNING TOO ALL

I used the 'great' diskeeper boot defrag a week ago. Guess what? Now I am running a clean system. Diskeeper screwd up all my files, all thanks to that one command. Watch it, as diskeeper can do a nice job, making everything super fast it can also screw up your system in the matter of minutes. Backup your stuff onto another hard drive/media before using diskeeper. I found out the hard way :( and in the end had to go through major processes to get some of my files back. Just a warning, use diskeeper at your own risk!

7. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

when my pc boot slow i use regvac to clean my registry and most of the times it boot way faster after that.

8. indyjones

As mentioned before bootvis fails to compleate its processing is bootvis-tool.exe any different than the version linked on the main page of this website or is it mearly a diffrent version of the same file? I have using perfect disk 2000 and having that manage startup files but not to much avail :(

9. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

When I was using bootvis the first time I would get the error "Timeout while waiting for schedule service to
    start
    " I went into my Services.msc and started up the "Task Manager" again and it worked just fine. Maybe this is a similar error some of you are having.

10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Bootvis depends on Task scheduler service running (btw so do System Restore and Prefetch).
    It also depends on
    COM+ Event System
    Event Log
    Plug and Play
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Windows Management Instrumentation

11. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I use this tweak to speed up my system and boot-up process:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

DisablePagingExecutive=1
    Will load your core WinXP files into system RAM and keep them there. Use this tweak if you have 512MB RAM or more.

LargeSystemCache=0
    For 512MB RAM or more set to 1 for potential performance improvement.

If you 512Mb RAM or more, use it. My usual boot time is around 15secs. :D

12. indyjones

Ahhh i may have it now! :) I know for a fact my Task scheduler service is disables as i have done that in tweax-xp pro:rolleyes:
    I will also check the other services cheers yoyo!
    Ragnarok i have this enabled already as i have a gig of ram. Cheers will give boot-vis another go. Has there been many versions mine is just the one for SP1 so i guess its fine.
    Wil report back on any progress.