SLI-Deluxe Driver Problem

Luna

OSNN Senior Addict
This seems to have started happening after I switched from a single IDE hard disk to two SATA raptors in RAID 0.

When using my PC and doing any thing CPU intensive, after a few seconds the system will lock up, the screen will go black for about 1 second, then everything comes back up on the dislplay, but is very slow. If I continue to do anything cpu intensive the screen will go black over and over, and eventually it just gets so slow that i have to do a hard restart.

The funny thing is this only happens when I have the nForce drivers installed. I've installed the ones off the CD that came with my motherboard, I've tried the ones off the Asus site, and even the latest ones from the nVidia site. All give me the same problem.

If I uninstall the drivers though the system runs really smooth, not a single bug.

I'm just trying to figure out why this would be happening. I'm not really sure what to blame, it could be the video card or maybe the RAID controller. The board has 2 SATA raid controllers so I can try switching over to SI instead of nVraid.

System specs:

A8V Deluxe
3500+ Newcastle
1GB OCZ Rev. 3 Dual Chan
2 WD Raptors in raid 0
Audigy 2 ZS (which conflicts with the raid drivers if I install it with the original drivers off of the CD, but works fine if I do a clean install with the web drivers)
x700 Pro 256mb PCIEx

I will have to check to see if the card is sharing an IRQ port with something else, but even so it only happens when the nforce drivers are installed. Does not matter which one, I could install any part of it (SM, IDE, Eithernet) it will cause the same issue.

I have tried doing multiple clean installs of XP, apply all the latest MS patches, then I install the nforce, video, and sound drivers. Each time, same problem. I even upgraded and downgraded the BIOS from the latest one back to the original. No luck

Maybe I missed something you said if you uninstall the drivers then it runs fine? Sorry where is the problem lol if it runs fine when you chuck the messed up Nvidia driver and it is ok I dont see where the problem is anymore>?

Without the driver some of the hardware does not fuction. I'm not sure if it will make a speed difference, but the thing I want to use is the nForce ethernet port because of it's firewall.

Can't do that without the drivers.

If I recall correctly (I'm at work now) It's also missing a PCI Communications Bridge or something of that nature as well. There is also the SM or SB driver (can't remember the name) that's also on the hardware list as uninstalled.

I see well you would need to try a different set of drivers maybe?

What could I use?

I've tried the drivers that came with my board, the ones provides on the Asus website, and also the latest ones (from this month) on the nVidia website for nForce 4 boards.

When I'm off work I'm going to check and make sure the x700 is not sharing an IRQ with anything, and if that fails I'll move over to the SI chipset for RAID.

I can't find anything on the net related to this so I guess I'm on my own.

I might have read it here at osnn but I heard that you have to disable one of the two LANs. Also The firewall is junk :p. You could try updating JUST the ethernet driver. Try as follows
1. Download winrar and install
2. Download nforce shiznite
3. Right click on the nforce and goto "extract to nForce_6.53_WinXP2K_english/"
4. Locate the Ethernet folder and remember where it is
5. go into device manager and find ethernet when its "unknown" or however it reports it
6. right click on it and goto "update driver"
7. Goto the "install from list or specific location" then pick "Don't search. I will...blah..blah." the go back to the folder where the Erthernet folder is from step 4
8. Click on "have disk", and select the the inf file that shows up(if there are more than one then guess and check) and click ok
9. It will show the name of your hardware
10. Click next
11. Hope that it works :p

Im sure Ill have to edit this to make it make sense :s. Ill download the chipset drivers real quick and check the folder or cab file for you.

I thought the firewall was really good :p

Logs everything, and I have a ton of control over what goes on.

Anyway, I never knew it could be extracted, I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens.

Actually, extracting the drivers just puts out the setup files. You don't get any driver specific folders. :dead:

I noticed that a few min ago, but that's if I run it normally.

I got home and moved the x700 pro card up to the top PCIEx slot and all seems to be well.

Just an IRQ conflict it seems, but the device it conflicted with would not work unless the nforce driver was installed because that's what turned it on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back