Slackware and Swaret

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Dark Atheist, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

first off im a total n00b to linux and was told that slackware was the best to use - was also told that its best to use swaret to update it but every ftp i try to use to update it only has old versions of the programs i want to update.

Could anyone tell me a good site(s) to use

Thanks

2. If you really are completely new to Linux Slackware is NOT the one for you :p
    Have a look at Mandrake, it was purposefully built for people with no experience whatsoever...

3. Dark Atheist

ok told a little white lie there - not a total n00b to linux - have tried rh mandrake and suse and didnt like any of them - too bloated and too slow - have installed slack ok have a ftp and http server running on it (had a bit of help from a friend there), just need to know a few good places to tell swaret to look to iget some updates

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Are you running 9.1 or current? Current is going to have the most up to date (bleeding edge) apps. Also check Swaret site for some here for more repositorys. Will be someone else along to add more that I missed I'm sure ...

damn time change 4-5hrs of sleep don't cut it. :(

5. Dark Atheist

sweet - all progs updated - cheers dude

6. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I find the most recent packages for swaret can be found at linuxpackages.net. If you go to swaret.org, they have a short list of sites that you can add. Those should be all you need. Edit swaret.conf and insert those sites accordingly. Xie seems to have covered this already. You don't really need to use current since people seem to make packages for 9.1 anyway. I stay on 9.1 tree to be safe since I don't use it as a desktop, but as a server hidden in the closet. heh.

7. silis

silis The bum.

I know the feeling... oh how i wish i lived in arizona. SCREW THE FEDS!!!!! :D

8. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

if you are only finding old packages with swaret, make sure the config file is looking for current, not 9.1 or 9.0 etc., you dont't want to update your distro with the repos sites, can be bad.

9. vern

If you only have official repositories added, you will find older packages if you specified the 9.1 tree. If you added the linuxpackages.net tree for example, you'd be able to find newer packages for it.

10. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I use Slackware-current and LinuxPackages.net
    Never had a problem with it, but I don't ever do a full upgrade. Basically only pick the packages that I want to upgrade.
    On a side-note, SWareT has improved greatly since I first started using it. We should be seeing source-based installs coming soon too, just like Gentoo's portage tree.

11. Xie

can't you already search for source: swaret --get <file> -s

12. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

This is true, but if you use the tag current it will update them as they are added to the slackware tree. I just use swaret --update && swaret --upgrade to update the system. If a package that isn't available or I want something upgraded before appearing in the current branch, I just manually fetch and upgrade/install it.

13. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

or if you don't want it to prompt you for each upgraded package:

swaret --update && swaret --upgrade -a

14. NetRyder

What I was refering to was the --compile switch. It's already in the current version, but it's marked experimental and is still a bit rough.
    Check out this thread for more info on what it does, and what's coming in the next major release.
    http://forum.swaret.org/viewtopic.php?t=712
    [​IMG]

15. Xie

Yeah I've read about new source stuff in swaret but I was pointing out to those that maybe didn't know you can grab source w/ swaret in addition to packages :)

ps - hope that comment don't sound mean

16. NetRyder

Nah, don't worry about it. I get what you mean. [​IMG]

17. vern

This might deviate from the topic a bit ... but Netryder, do you have any experience with linuxpackages.net build scripts? /me wonders if support for build scripts will be supported in swaret ...

18. NetRyder