Simple Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Mainframeguy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I run a machine with an S3 Graphics ProSavage board (have no idea how that performs comparatively). I do not do any gaming, but I have recently acquired a MDV videocam and do plan some editting.....

This is leading me towards a larger, higher spec., monitor.

I am just wondering if anyone here would advise if my graphics card limits what I may "see" and what end of the price spectrum I should be at for my screen (the bad news is I have tiny desk perch, so shall probably have to go TFT).

Any advice gratefully received

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If you are into multimedia editing... I recommend an ati ALL in wonder card... price range... around $300-350 for the higher end models... ie AIW 9700pro/9800pro...

your card may limit your functionality and also the quality of what you see in terms of 2d/3d imagery (if you are doing any 3d editing that is)

with tft's... you can get a decent 17inch or 18 inch lcd screen for around 300-400 dollars... if you need to get one...

www.newegg.com or www.ebay.com are 2 decent places to look for a new... or in the case of the latter... used tft...

the reason I recommended the AIW series is they come with multimedia/multifunction dongles that allow yuo to add a whole range of devices to your rig and edit the heck out of them :)

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Many thanks - found a used one, good deal?

now I happen to have come across a used 9700 pro...

and I think I know what you will advise, but want to ask anyway. Would it still be a good buy on such a relatively expensive kit. I can see from the reviews it is going to make my machine a little quieter - which is good... I can also see it will make me day-dream of more luxurious displays, but I have to limit my budget...

BTW you may notice I am over in the UK - anyways the used price quoted is £251 inc. tax and a new 9800 pro is going on same site at £373 so there is quite a differential (and I think this is such a quality jump I should be happy with the 9600)

Thanks for the advice to date... these boards happy enough in low profile machines I hope? Would guess so - gotta get better than my GeForce 4MX440SE 64 MB DDR anyway....