Simple Advice wanted

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I run a machine with an S3 Graphics ProSavage board (have no idea how that performs comparatively). I do not do any gaming, but I have recently acquired a MDV videocam and do plan some editting.....

This is leading me towards a larger, higher spec., monitor.

I am just wondering if anyone here would advise if my graphics card limits what I may "see" and what end of the price spectrum I should be at for my screen (the bad news is I have tiny desk perch, so shall probably have to go TFT).

Any advice gratefully received

Originally posted by MainframeGuy
I run a machine with an S3 Graphics ProSavage board (have no idea how that performs comparatively). I do not do any gaming, but I have recently acquired a MDV videocam and do plan some editting.....

This is leading me towards a larger, higher spec., monitor.

I am just wondering if anyone here would advise if my graphics card limits what I may "see" and what end of the price spectrum I should be at for my screen (the bad news is I have tiny desk perch, so shall probably have to go TFT).

Any advice gratefully received

If you are into multimedia editing... I recommend an ati ALL in wonder card... price range... around $300-350 for the higher end models... ie AIW 9700pro/9800pro...

your card may limit your functionality and also the quality of what you see in terms of 2d/3d imagery (if you are doing any 3d editing that is)

with tft's... you can get a decent 17inch or 18 inch lcd screen for around 300-400 dollars... if you need to get one...

www.newegg.com or www.ebay.com are 2 decent places to look for a new... or in the case of the latter... used tft...

the reason I recommended the AIW series is they come with multimedia/multifunction dongles that allow yuo to add a whole range of devices to your rig and edit the heck out of them :)

Many thanks - found a used one, good deal?

now I happen to have come across a used 9700 pro...

and I think I know what you will advise, but want to ask anyway. Would it still be a good buy on such a relatively expensive kit. I can see from the reviews it is going to make my machine a little quieter - which is good... I can also see it will make me day-dream of more luxurious displays, but I have to limit my budget...

BTW you may notice I am over in the UK - anyways the used price quoted is £251 inc. tax and a new 9800 pro is going on same site at £373 so there is quite a differential (and I think this is such a quality jump I should be happy with the 9600)

Thanks for the advice to date... these boards happy enough in low profile machines I hope? Would guess so - gotta get better than my GeForce 4MX440SE 64 MB DDR anyway....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back